Breeding Guppies

27 posts • Page 3 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

DameMagnifique9373

by DameMagnifique9373

yes, that 5$ fry food is quite expensive..

dizzcat

by dizzcat

"I do plan on setting up a 20 gallon as well for males to hopefully slow production"

You might have better luck putting the babies in the smaller tank. They will be able to find the food easier that way. With my tanks I start fry out in a 10 gallon, then when they get a little bigger and find food better I move them to a larger 20 gallon. You could also put a divider in the 55 to separate the males and females, then have the two smaller tanks for the fry as they grow.

As far as food, they are big enough when born that you can feed them crushed flake food. I just crush some up in my palm and sprinkle it in the tank. Its your teeny-tiny fry from fish like Rams that are no bigger than this ~ that need the special food like brine shrimp.

Speaking of Guppy's... I just took some African fry to my lfs and since I no longer need or have room for more Mbuna I decided to up my numbers in my planted community tank. Got 3 more Rummy Nose Tetras and had decided to get a couple Guppies to keep my 10 gallon fry tank healthy when it has no fry. The idea is to keep the Guppy's in the 10 until I need it, then put them in the big tank when I need the 10 for fry. So, told this to the guy and asked for a couple Guppy's. The only one I wanted for sure was a Orange Sunshine Guppy. I wasn't paying any attention, I really didn't care which ones I got, just some to put in the empty tank. When I got them home and looked he gave me about 25! I gave 5 to a friend and looking at them I have a couple Red Fires, Green Cobras, Lyretail and about 5 Endler's Livebearer's! I put the Endler's Livebearer's in the community tank instead of the Guppy tank. Wow! I know that the Lyertail and Endlers run like $5 a piece here! The females are kind of drab, just silver, but the others are cool. There are 3 I cannot figure out what kind they are. An awesome silver with swirls and their tail comes to a small point like a sword, but they are definitely Guppy's. The guy just stuck a net in and grabbed a bunch and I ended up with a bunch! Even got 6 teeny ones I don't know what kind they are yet LOL Gave some to my friend, put some in the planted community and the rest will go in the 10 that I am going to put all my smaller plants in till they grow out. As they have fry, my cichlids will get a treat Wa-hahahaha ;-) I will probably end up keeping the prettiest ones and giving the others away to some friends I know that have community tanks. Not planning on selling them or anything, just wanted some to keep my fry tank up and running. Nothing worse than an empty tank!

adehaan86

by adehaan86

It seems like when I try to breed Guppies they don't do anything , but when I don't try they breed.

I have 8 females 2 males somethings has to happen.

I also have to setup another tank (20 gallon) but unsure of where to put it in the house!

dizzcat

by dizzcat

OMGosh! I just looked in the tank and one of the Guppy's is giving birth! So, I started with about 25, gave 5 away and now have about 15 tiny fry! The adults are not even looking at the fry, let alone eating them. What am I going to do with all these Guppy's?? LOL

esparzar1

by esparzar1

Dizz,

The baby guppy's make great treats for your cichlids :)

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Yep es, I am going to be moving the Guppy's to the 10 today (I have Ice Blue Greshakei fry in there now) after I do some cleaning and tank pimping. I am going to drop all the tiny ones in the African tank. Snack time!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

lots of plants as far as I know, especially floating plants like ferns and a breeding box or else the fry will be eaten.

Unsure about guppies, but I think what I typed is good enough

Breeding Guppies

27 posts • Page 3 of 3