5 gallon planted tank?

18 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

spongebob4460

5 gallon planted tank?

by spongebob4460

I'm thinking of buying my girlfriend this tank for her one goldfish:

http://www.petco.com/product/12788/Mari ... m-Kit.aspx

Can I make this a planted tank? What plants would be good for it? Is the lighting enough? How do I vac the gravel, or do I even need to with planted? Any suggestions, pros or cons would be helpful... (thanks in advance Peter, hehe). I don't have to worry about CO2 right? oh, and do i need heat?

gumbii

by gumbii

i didn't even read beyond the first sentence when i pressed reply...

DO NOT PUT A GOLDFISH IN A 5 GALLON TANK!!!!!!...

please don't do it... a goldfish needs at least a 20g tank, and 10g for every other goldfish in the tank... i know it's not good to the forum, but check out www.goldfishparadise.com and search for more info on goldfish... i used to moderate that forum when i had fancy goldfish...

i had 6 goldfish in a 100g tank, and that was overstocked... goldfish are hardcore polluters, and need clean water to keep them healthy...

i've also read that they banned goldfish bowls in some places in europe... why?... because they are horrible and inhumaine... if you can't put a goldfish in a 20g+ tank don't get them at all...

thx...

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

enough said gumbii, i trust your judgment... i havent bought her the goldfish yet, so im happy i wrote here first. I was gonna get her the one with the big bubble cheeks, but she cant have any bigger than a 5 gallon, so she'll have to live with her betta for now.

gumbii

by gumbii

5g...?? a betta or another antabanoid would suffice...

bubble cheek???... i guess you're talking about a lionhead oranda... those get huge, and will kill themselves in thier own waste if you let them...

goldfish are a huge responsibility... i had to do water changes every 3-4 days when i had them... the only fancy goldfish i have now are in my ponds... and they have huge HUGE wet/dry filters that support huge koi fish... so it's not a problem... plus i do waterchanges in my ponds every other week...

please take my advice... i know i might sound like a fayt, but don't listen to what everyone else says on this board... lol... trust me... i've been breeding and supplying LFS with many high quality goldfish... i know about goldfish... i'm one of those idiots that has paid more than $300 for a single lionhead goldfish...

yes i know... $300 for a goldfish sounds crazy, but he came from jackie chan's goldfish farm, and give's me amazing/expensive lionheads...

LeviNHeidi4480

by LeviNHeidi4480

OK, I don't care what these other people are saying about having 1 goldfish in that tank. Goldfish are a coldwater fish that survives in many peoples homes in nothing more than a fishbowl. I personally think that your girlfriends goldfish would do great in that tank. There is a filtration system, lighting, and a current. Why not? I check these forums quite a bit and you seem to be a great fishkeeper that looks out for only the best for your pets. If that goldfish does outgrow the 5 gallon, you have a superb breeder tank at your disposal. I love those small aquariums. I had one when I was a kid. They are fun and add a nice decoration to any room.

gumbii

by gumbii

LeviNHeidi... are you a breeder..??? have you been breeding them for 10 years now...??? no...? i didn't think so...

i'm not sorry for being frank, but i'm tired of seeing people at petsmart taking 2 dollars of feeder fish and expecting them to thrive in a 10g tank... that's BS... if you try to put that fish in a 5g tank i would check the amonia daily... i will asure you that in one week the amonia will go to .7 and after 100% waterchanges in two days it will go back to .5... i'm not stupid... i know what i'm saying... that tank will never finish a cycle unless you're doing 75% waterchanges and have 100gph on a 5g tank... bro... don't listen to anyone else... please listen to me... trust me...

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

It looks OK and I saw that one pic of it had some live plants in it, though they were brown on the ends, but for almost $50 which it costs, you could buy a 10 gallon tank with filter for about $30, and a cheap 15 watt light for it for maybe $20 all at Petco. I'd say that maybe she could grow anubias in it, and some of the thick leafed plants that are sold at Petco. It is a convenient size for someone who doesn't want a big tank taking up a lot of room. I guess I'd say go for it, unless you think she's really into aquariums, and then I'd go for the 10 gallon. A 10 gallon tank is only about $12 bucks, and she'd be able to buy a few more fish without overstocking it. NOTE I just read the other responses, and now I'd agree about it being too small for a goldfish. Maybe for a beta or a small number of tetras. I'm not a goldfish expert, but I have seen them live in little bowls in filthy water with no filtration for amazingly long lives, but I want to go with the real fish lovers, and say that I'd go with the 10 gallon at least. You can buy a 2 bulb fluorescent fixture, 40 watt, that fits on a 10 gallon quite nicely at the hardware store. I would go this way to grow nice plants. You still should vacuum no matter if there are plants or not.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Thanks guys, for all your input, you know i like to get thorough. My girl is not into tanks much, she just enjoys watching mine... and she does fine with her betta. I will most likely have ended up cleaning and maintaining the tank for her in her bedroom and she cant afford any more space, a 5 gallon was pushing it. Last thing i want is for the fish to stress out, especially when my girl can't be there to monitor its behavior. I think the goldfish she likes is called bubble eye. I'll look into planted Peter, but she cares more for fish and i wouldnt be there to really appreciate the plants that often. When I upgrade to a 75 ill look into planted, i just love them. Thanks everyone for the replies!

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Why not buy it for her beta? I bet if she leaves the lights on during the day she could probably grow some plants, and it would be a whole lot better than what most people keep betas in. I know where you're coming from with your girl, but seriously, plants grow themselves, and Petco sells anubias already attached to wood in LA last I looked,.... when I was last in LA, hehe!

LeviNHeidi4480

by LeviNHeidi4480

Gumbii? Come on buddy, I am not trying to say that I am an expert fish person. I was simply saying that the tank would suffice as a breeder for any fish that may become pregnant. I am not saying it is a goldfish haven. No hard feelings meant here. I am not trying to argue with you at all. I apologize for any offensive comments. I meant no harm.

5 gallon planted tank?

18 posts • Page 1 of 2