Prime

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

ChristinaBug2890

Prime

by ChristinaBug2890

Hey everyone! Quick question for ya.

Does Seachem Prime expire/go bad? This is the liquid chlorine/chloramine/ammonia remover I use in my tank. There is no date stamped on the bottle.

The reason i ask is; by the time i get down to about half a bottle, it starts to smell really bad. I wonder if it reacts with oxygen or something and somehow changes. I store the bottle closed and in a room temperature location away from heat and light.

Heres the stuff: www.thereefshoppe.ca/images/prime.jpg

zambize

by zambize

I use Prime. How long does it take for you to get down to half a bottle? I've noticed the smell before, too. I really don't think it goes bad. If it did, your fish would be dying from chlorine poisoning.

Z

Cross6236

by Cross6236

Christana I also use Prime. Lots of people here recommend using it. I looked on my bottle and there is no expire date either. I don't think it does expire. The directions state that the sulfer odor you smell is normal

adehaan86

by adehaan86

Possibly shake the bottle, It could be many chemicals in there, And some are settling and some are going to the top AKA the smelly ones. Just a idea.

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

Hi there ChristinaBug.

I use prime sometimes just for the purpose of dechlorinating my purigen bags after I regenerate them in bleach. You're right - the stuff stinks! The first time I used it I almost thru the purigen bag away, thinking that it must be bad if it stinks so off. But in the end I put it back in my filter anyway and there was never any harm done to the tank.

So that probably doesnt help you much; I dont know whether it expires or goes bad. But all I can say is that I know the horrible smell your talking about and I've never had any harm done even when it stinks.

I believe you can ask seachem questions on their website..? Maybe ask them...

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

Ok so i'm not crazy..it does stink. Thanks everyone for your input! It still seems to work dispite the bad smell so i guess i'll just deal with it.

Prime

6 posts