CONCERNED NITRATE LEVELS

16 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

blueshoes2208

CONCERNED NITRATE LEVELS

by blueshoes2208

tested out to be at 40 today.... im really worried now, theyve always been at around 25 but now im concerned about the health of my fish, prolly gunna do a 10 gal water change today.... i dont have any room for a refugium, not even on the back of my tank, or on the inside if you are creative. Bought a softball size of macroalgae the other day, know it will take a few weeks to take any effect but i need to do something now...... help??????

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

You figure out how to clean the fx5 yet ? with out loosing water ?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I got a good way to clean it blue! Toss it. I dont know how you do it! I would be bald with a canister filter. I would seariously be stressed the $#%# out with nitrates above my lovely small numbers.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

I was going to type that same shit, +1 to that

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

but what kind of filter would i get??????? i mean i have no room for a hang on the back one and i cant fit a reg aquarium underneath my tank........ is there any filter media that would help this situation???? my corals are curled into balls instead of pulsating and theyre about 1/3 their normal size, i have fish acting eratically and my anthia is staying at the bottom of the tank, my nem is about the size of a baseball.....

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

I dont know man, if you do alot of water changes, i would say just run carbon once in a while or run it empty just for flow, The build up of detritus in there(the elphant shit) is breaking down in there..Every one that has filter socks, or any other type of mechanical filtration should clean every other day..I have a small piece of filtersock .( i cut a sock into 8 pieces and use above the drip plate) in the back of my aquarium i replace it every day, day 7 i bleach all the pads and start over again..for the over flow its a sponge i rinse it some times 2 times a day, it take only a few minutes of my time...I would find something that is easy to clean man..But for now do some WCs, and get that filter cleaned out with bleach(rinse good)

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

you cant get a couple 5 gallon buckets under there ? even 3 of them and build a cusom sump, pipe em together and make one a fuge - - -theres no law that says a sump has to be square or even clear glass - - -anything that will hld water and fit in your stand is a sump bud....................just a thought

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

what about nesx to the main tank, it dont always need to be under to be a sump, just a bit more techo to get things working right.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

im trying to find thd source of the nitrates so far and the only things i can think of are A) fish poop and B) i havent seen my purple pseudochromis in about 4 days and if he died in the rocks or something and its jus decaying in my tank..... idk im starting to think no matter what a fuge is necessary.... the nem is lookin okay right now but my xenia are still curled up , zoos and my clove polyps look fine. First let me see if i get this nitorgen cycle right............................ detritus --> ammonia --> nitrates -----> nitrites---> water changes ??? that even close?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Blue like boss said....get a 5 gallon bucket...hook an overflow over the back and a hose into the bucket....with a filter sock. And a return pump and your good. All you need is a filter sock and you will be 10x better than you are now.

CONCERNED NITRATE LEVELS

16 posts • Page 1 of 2