CONCERNED NITRATE LEVELS

16 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

well tell me what you think of this... i pad 200$ for it on ebay, a used one is worth id say around 100 so id lose 100 dollars in the end of selling it, i cleaned it out again and i noticed that the sponge filter shit that came with it is like full of detritus so what i did is i ordered some kent marine nitrate sponge for my first level, some marineland carbon for hte second level and ill keep one block of that other stuff to put on the last level of the filter to strictly get the particles out, say i take the outlet of the fx5 and put it in a fuge and then at the end of the fuge put a return pump that is the same gph as the fx5 going back into the tank, so the water would go through the filter and through the fuge before going back into the tank?

btw only lost a few mL of water cleaning the filter this time
ALSO BTW I HAVE NO CASH AND 25$ IN MY CHECKING ACCOUNT SO I WONT BE BUYING ANY THING SOON..

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I know how you feel blue. I have 46 cents to my name until next friday. for now......you should try to take out any biological media....its not needed. If you have sponges for your tank.......use them. The problem arrises when you leave your media in there too long......and with salt systems and tangs and other fish......your talking about a LOT of poop. I have a friend that doesnt even run a filter........he just uses his protein skimmer. Blue....your filter will work.....but it will need daily attention to get your nitrates down. My sump needs attention for nitrates every other day. My filter sock gets clogged up and nasty every three or four days. A refuge blue will just make up for any oopsies in your tank. Thats why I love having one....gives some ohh crap room. Blue the only thing I can think of to help you out is to clean your sponges every other day or every three days. You will see a notable difference in everything within a week.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

fihsboy

by fihsboy

have you cleaned it out yet?

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

yeah, did a 10 gal water change, cleaned the pre filter on the skimmer, stirred up any detritus on the rocks and cleaned out the filter

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

they are still bunched up i guess you could say and one has now fallen over..... are they dead

CONCERNED NITRATE LEVELS

16 posts • Page 2 of 2