Stocking a 20 long

23 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

TigerTaylor8906

Stocking a 20 long

by TigerTaylor8906

Is this acceptable stock for a 20L? One blue Dwarf Gourami, three Tiger Barbs, and a school of Neons, say 10-13.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

your numbers are fine, as long as you're overfiltering and the tank is well established and cycled. However, the tiger barbs in such a small group would probably take a lot of aggression out on others particularly the lone gourami.

Why not some peaceful bottom feeders instead of those barbs? A small shoal of corydoras maybe..?

TigerTaylor8906

by TigerTaylor8906

Would an even number of barbs to gouramis be better like 2 to 2?

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

not really what I meant. tiger barbs are one of the most aggressive ''tropical community'' fish available. In numbers of 8 or more they would be more proned to take out aggression on their own kind (mostly harmless) rather than the rest of the aquarium so-to-speak, which is not so harmless.
I'm no expert on gouramis, as I've killed more of them than any other fish for some reason, but I don't think they mind solitude from other gouramis -- particularly males.

If you like the idea of a semi-aggressive tank, drop the regular tetras for some red minor serpae tetras, dwarf puffers, and other semi-aggressive fish.

TigerTaylor8906

by TigerTaylor8906

Well I could stick with the gourami and go with some corydoras. How many is ideal for this setup?

dizzcat

by dizzcat

From my experience red minor serpae tetras can be just as aggressive as Tiger Barbs. They almost killed a male Betta within 2 hours of bringing them home. Cherry Barb's are sweet little fish. So are Rummy Nose Tetras. I have had both and no aggression from them. Make sure its a Cherry Barb and not a Rosy barb, I hear the rosy ones are more aggressive. Most Barbs are aggressive, that is why I suggest the Cherry ones.

You could go with a male and female gourami, some Cory's (they like to be in groups) and a school of tetras. Just make sure to look up the tetras and gourami before you buy to make sure they don't get too big or too aggressive. Try to stick with one of the dwarf gourami because the tank will not be tall enough for one of the bigger ones. Some can get as big as 6". I had Flame Dwarf Gourami's and loved them. They were so peaceful and interactive and stayed small at 2", but had big personalities. I am thinking of getting a couple more now that my tank is bigger.

For a nice tank that does not stress the fish out, pick fish with aggression levels that are peaceful. :-)

These are Cherry Barbs:
http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_dis ... catid=1008

The different gourami's: Look at max size and aggression levels.
http://liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium ... ?c=830+882

And the different Tetras: Look at aggression levels.
http://liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium ... ?c=830+890

zambize

by zambize

I have a lot of experience with Dwarf Gouramis. They are tough fish to keep, in my opinion and own experience. Males don't usually like to be with each other after they mature a bit. They are also more prone to illness and stress than some other fish, especially the blue dwarfs. Unless you have a very peaceful tank, and are fairly experienced, I would hold off on the dwarf gourami.

I agree with others about the tiger barbs, they will pick relentlessly on others (bad fin nippers) if they aren't in large enough numbers to pick amongst themselves, and even then, if they have something as tempting as a slow gourami they may pick on him anyway. You don't have enough room for a larger group of tiger barbs, they can reach 3". The cherry barbs would be nice, so would the rummy nose. I have rummy nose now and my only concern is that they do really like to school and you'd need at least 6 of them and they'd need space to swim. I have 15 in a 55 gallon and they are all over the place. But you could still try 6 in a 20 long, they would look nice, stay in a tight school and be busy. Definitely a few corydoras to keep the bottom clean of excess food. At least a few of them, they like to be in a group. The panda corydoras stay small and are attractive. Try to find some that have been at the store a few weeks...they can be sensitive and just fail to thrive.

Here's something different...female bettas. I've kept groups of anywhere from 3-9 female bettas in a 20 gallon tank, along with other fish. They are colorful, full of personality, and they do get along. Every now and then I'll find one that tries to bully, but they usually get along fine. Never, ever try to keep only two. I'd do at least five. A cool 20 long would be 5 female bettas, 6 rummy nose, and 3 corydoras. Provide lots of cover around the edges and top with open swimming area in the middle and up front.

If you don't like that, try some of the other suggestions you gotten for *peaceful* fish, and instead of a dwarf gourami as your centerpiece, go with a male betta. They are in the same family as the gourami, they are colorful, have tons of personality, will get along in a *calm* and *peaceful* community (absolutely no fin-nippers or schitzy fish with a betta). You could do a beautiful male betta, 7 cherry barbs, 2 otocinclus, 3 corydoras. Maybe a blue or yellow betta that would contrast nicely with the barbs.

Zambize

TigerTaylor8906

by TigerTaylor8906

Well here is what I have, the blue gourami (3.5 in max) and 6 neons in an eight month old ten gallon. I want to move them to the new twenty at some point. I think what Ill do is keep my Gourami alone, add a few neons and three corys. Sound good? I appreciate all the input.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

yep, but your corys may be happier in numbers of 4-5. You can get 3 initially though and pick a few up as the tank has a few weeks of being fully cycled under its belt, especially if you plan to move the gourami and existing tetras over to the 20 at the same time.
Also check out the wide variety of cory species available. My stupid local petsmart only stocks one kind (peppered) when there's really like 20 species readily available from other pet stores in my area. My current favorite is the panda cory. They stay small and are huge fun to watch in a shoal of 6.

zambize

by zambize

I agree with T -- cory really do prefer larger groups. I find that to be especially true of the panda cory, also a favorite of mine. I have quite a few of them in various tanks. In my own experience, they can be stressed and frightened more easily than others when kept in too few numbers, but really super cool cory though and well worth having, in the right numbers.

I think your plan to have the one blue gourami, about 9 neons, (and assuming you'll take T's advice) I'd say 5 cory, is a very good plan. Compatibility is excellent. Personalities and behaviors are very different so it will be an interesting tank to watch. The gourami will have personality plus, the school of neons will be fascinating, and it will be hard to take your eyes off a nice-sized shoal of busy-body cory. Visually, the blue gourami with the blue in the neons will be awesome (and I don't even like blue), and the flecks of red will really jump out against the blue. Avoid any other blue in the tank, meaning decor, and I think it'll be striking. I think it sounds great.

If you're interested, I did a fishless cycle on a 10 gallon tank in 5 days and on a 20 gallon tank in 10 days...

Zambize

Stocking a 20 long

23 posts • Page 1 of 3