refugium

16 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

memphis

refugium

by memphis

i have a refugium. i have a filter sock where the water enters the refugium where the protien skimmer is at. was wondering should i remove it. asking because i have a nitrate problem. thoought the refuge was suposed to help prevent this prob. i just started using a refuge and dont have the hang of it yet. can any one can explain how to set it up.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

the filter sock shuold be fine, especially if you clean it out once a week or so, the sock jus prevents big particles from ending up in your fuge... how long has your fuge been set up?? what do you hvae in it? Just rock and sand alone will not lower your nitrates or phosphates you need an algae in it....

http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_dis ... catid=2401

plus after you have all this in it im sure it requires a few weeks to get going. What are your nitrates at right now???

newbie916

by newbie916

I rinse my filter sock out with a garden hose every other day and replace it every two months. The refugiums help balance the PH, if you have it on alternating lighting schedules with your main tank. I have a 35 gallon with a 3 inch sand bed and various macro algae's growing in there with 15 lbs of live rock. It takes time to stablize just like your main tank. You should get a phosban reactor and your nitrates could be related to your feedings and the kind of fish you have.

I have three large tangs in my 95 gallon and my nitrates were at 40ppm before I set up my fuge. It took 4 months before I noticed a decrease after the macro and sand started absorbing some of the nutrients. My nitrates stay around 10-20ppm, which is ok, but I'm sure would be 0 if I got rid of my tangs.

All depends on bio-load and how long your tank has been cycling for.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Keep that sock clean. :) plus if you just added it.......things need to settle. It will take a little while for everything to balance out. After it does.......and bacteria are settled in......its going to be great! Keep it up! And dont bale on your refugium. :)

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

I agree with fishboy 100%, any major alterations need time. But, with the fuge i think you are giving your self grief with the alternate light cycle. It causes oxygen depletion ans something else bad, which i cant think of now because I'm pissed, but you should run ur lights 24/7. something happens wrong with the algae if your don't. Will find out, and let you no, in the mean time 24/7

gdeeber

by gdeeber

If you use a macroalgae called Caulerpa in your refugium you will have to keep your lights on 24/7 or risked the plant going A sexual. Which means the macroalgae dies off and releases all the nutrients that it collected and that will lead to an algae bloom in your main tank.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

24/7 like they said for sure. :) Patience young grasshopper your balance will come. :) Puff why you pissed?

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

big night brother woooo feeling in now. thats the words i was looking for . A SEXUAL

newbie916

by newbie916

Hey guys,

I don't have Caulerpa in my fuge because it's illegal in the communist state of California. I have Ulva, Gracialaria, lace, and chaeto in mine. Will they go A sexual? My fuge has been up and running for 10 months and I haven't had any die off. I noticed if my lights are left on too long, green hair algae starts to grow.

Thanks guys

fihsboy

by fihsboy

grow in your fuge? If so.....let it be. The more that theres the less in your main tank. it will pull the nutrients out faster than anything you can imagine. :)

refugium

16 posts • Page 1 of 2