refugium

16 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

memphis

by memphis

sorry havent got back to any one who has posted, havent been on. ty for all the info. i have Caulerpa and chaeto in my fuge. should i take the caulerpa out because last time i tried with lights on 24/7 it grew red slime algae.which some how got into my tank. nitrates at about 50-60. tank has been set up for about 10 months

fihsboy

by fihsboy

damn buddy those levels are high. can you do a water change? How much do you feed? did something die? Those are both good algaes to have in your sump. what kinda lighting? I have had red slime, its from overdose of trace elements or iodine. or poor lighting in your main tank. They feed on crappy light. I can attest to this. I had all old bulbs when I had it. Replaced the bulbs bam algae gone. how old are your bulbs? Do you dose a lot?

memphis

by memphis

i feed once a day ( frozen mysis 1 cube, and a very small pinch of flake, with 2 cap full of phyto). my lighting is mh 250(2) on a 100 gallon. i have t5 light for fuge that i run for about 12 hours. i change water every 2 weeks 20 to 30 gallons(w r/o). i cant keep nitrates down and its driving me nuts. also i did just set up my fuge. so i wondering should i run my fuge lights longer of is 12hr long enough

gdeeber

by gdeeber

I would run you refugium lights 24/7. I have tried two methods of refugium lighting. The first was to run the lights opposite the main tank lights (when the main tank lights are on your refugium lights are off and vise versa). And them I ran the lights 24/7 and found my cyno bacteria went away with the 24 hr. method. I also cut down on my feeding from everyday to every other day. I do not have a large fish load so it makes sense for me. You have to be your own judge, but I would try the 24 hr. lighting method in your refugium and see what kind of readings you get.

newbie916

by newbie916

I would probably cut back on your phyto. I had a similar nitrate issue as you did because I was putting 1 capful a day in my 100 gallon. I've since cut back to every other day and only feed 1/2 a capful. So far my nitrates are still in the 10-20ppm range because of my bio load, but they're not in the 40-60ppm range like they used to be.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I would say you should stop feeding the flake....for sure. I fed flake food and it gave me nothing but problems. as far as phyto.....I pour a water bottle in every three days......and my levels dont go up. so damn I have no clue there. I run my lights 24/7 and have no problems. I did have the red slime.....but it went away with bulb change. how much live sand do you have?

refugium

16 posts • Page 2 of 2