Calcium depletion problem

17 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

gdeeber

by gdeeber

I thought Kalkwasser had to be driped into tank or sump. My auto top off system just senses when the water level is too low in the sump and then activates a pump from a reserve tank of R/O water. Wouldn't that put too much Kalkwasser into sump all at once?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

You know I have no idea. I knew it was supposed to be dripped, but I never thought of that. I was going to do a top of kalkwasser mix. hmmmmmm. Got me. maybe puff or pimp or snow will know.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

you should have a PH monitor when using Kalkwaser, With a little math you can figure out your exact needs for top off..My lfs uses a litter meter..it works well, it takes care of his top off and calcium/alkilinity...

There are some writings from Anthony calfo where he added like a1/4 teaspoon to 5 gallons of fresh water..google it ..if i find it i will post it.. PM shigara he uses kalkwasser he will know better then i would..

gdeeber

by gdeeber

Thanks saltwaterpimp, I will look up that author. Most of my info comes from a book I bought called “The Marine Reef Aquarium" by Philip Hunt. It's a great starter book but does not go into much detail on any one subject.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

yeah, I have the same book! It kicks @#$ for sure. But its not enough information at a couple hundred pages. I agree it needs more info. I think it lacks so they dont scare incoming hobbiest. I dont know.....theres a guy at my lfs that just tops off with kalkwasser.....that doesnt meant its right.....but im sure it can be done with the proper care.

newbie916

by newbie916

I thought the book "Reef Secrets" was pretty good and it helped me out quit a bit.

I use Purple Up and Kent Turbo Calcium. I don't have a calcium reactor because it would be sitting in my dining room:) All I do is add a capful of Kent every other day and a capful of Purple up every day. My Calcium stays between 425-450. However, I have quit a bit of LPS, clams, and 160lbs of LR, which take up alot of calcium. I only test my calcium once a month now because I've tested to see how much is taken up on a regular basis. I add Magnesium, coralvite, and essential elements every other day in small doses. Good luck gdeeber...

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Do you like purple up? I cant get the damn stuff to grow on my rock. And I dose every morning. My calcium levels are fine and my magnesium levels are good......I have no clue why my rock wont get a nice purple.

Calcium depletion problem

17 posts • Page 2 of 2