Calcium depletion problem

17 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

gdeeber

by gdeeber

I don't know why but my calcium levels are always low. I have a 55 gal tank and a 20 gal sump with 60 lbs. of live sand and 100 lbs. of live rock. The only corals I have are 2 Candy Cane, 1 large Zoanth, 1 medium Star Polyp, Green Mushrooms and some Button Polyps that came with my live rock. I do a 5 gal partial water change every week and I test my water 2-3 days later and my calcium level is always around 320 - 360. I've done a test on the fresh salt mix and it comes out at 440. Could anyone tell me why I have so much calcium depletion? The only hard corals I have are the Candy Cane and there are only 2 of them and they are not that big. I've been using Two Little Fishy A & B mix on a daily basis now but I've noticed an increase in algae growth on my glass and sand. Could that be the reason why?

Quick facts: I use Reef Crystals for salt mix and my tank will be 1 year next month.

gumbii

by gumbii

the live rock also eats up the calcium... before i couldn't lower my calcium below 640ppm... now 80% of my rock is covered in coraline algae... and my calcium stays at 500ppm even with a strong mix of kalkwasser...

gdeeber

by gdeeber

Thanks for the info gumbii. I didn't think rocks could absorb that much calcium.

newbie916

by newbie916

The rocks definitely absorb calcium. How's your magnesium and PH levels. Really low magnesium could be the reason why your calcium won't stay in the 400's. I usually add some Kent Magnesium every day in small quanities. My Calcium stays around 450.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

If your going through two part calcium really quickly. A calcium reactor would be optimal. :) and a dream come true.

gdeeber

by gdeeber

I don't have a test for magnesium, so I do not know what it is. My phosphates are always 0. I have heard of dosing Magnesium but if I do not test for it I would not know how much to put in. I do a partial water change every week of 5 gallons so my tank should be getting enough trace elements.

newbie916

by newbie916

I do a 20 gallon water change on my 95 gallon with 35 gallon refugium every other week with Red Sea Salt. I also add magnesium, calcium, coralvite, and essential elements every other day. It's surprising how much the corals and live rock absorb the trace elements. I heard that low magnesium will prevent you from being able to increase your calcium no matter how much you add. Also, I've noticed a huge difference in the growth and health of my corals, since I started adding supplements and maintaining water quality.

gdeeber

by gdeeber

Thanks newbie916. I just did a water test with the following results:
SG - 1.021
PH - 8.4
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Calcium - 380
Carbonate Hardness (Alk) - 8dKH
Phosphates - 0

I haven't done a water change yet I wanted to see what my water parameters were first. Don't know why my specific gravity is so low, usually around 1.026. I am going to order a magnesium test and magnesium today and see if that makes a difference.

gdeeber

by gdeeber

Fihsboy: I don't have the money or the room to add a calcium reactor. As it is now my tank stand looks like a science project with the sump, refugium, skimmer, phosban reactor, and 5 gal top off tank under my main tank. Thanks for the help.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

what about kalkwasser? Or kent marine turbo calcium. Either would work well. Kalkwasser could be good since you already have an ATO. just add the mix and bam, problem fixed. If you use two part......try Oceans Blend. You can only get it online unless you live in Florida.....or Georgia.....I use it and its GREAT stuff!

17 posts • Page 1 of 2