Can my parents legally take my job away

21 posts • Page 1 of 3

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

darkruby

by darkruby

Hey guys, here is a huge contraversal issue developing in the family,

I am 17 years old and my grades are not the best... lets say Fs and Ds with Cs. So anyway, my parents said that if I did not improve them, they would make me quit my part-time job in a grocery store. Can they do that? It's a tough economy and I would think that cruel of them to do it. Now, I know that raising my grades will help and I am trying. It's just that their are so many grades in the grading system that even if I ace a test, it wont raise my grade much. So any grade below a 65 is sunk, which is only one of my classes.
Still. can they take my job away?

zum14

by zum14

I hate to say it but being that your not 18 I would imagine they can do whatever they want, still a minor, unless the laws are different where you live, but where I am I would say they could do it if they wanted.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Yeah.....your not 18. They pay your bills and feed you right.....they can do it. They put a roof over your head.....so they have the power to do it. I'm not trying to make you mad.....but you should probably pull them up any ways. When I was in highschool......2 years ago...I would purposely fail tests to see if i could pull my grade back up to a B. I was bored.....don't be stupid like I was. Try your hardest.....and if you cant do it......get help. You will be thanking yourself later in life. Trust me.

darkruby

by darkruby

Yea, I guess so. it's just that I'm lazy as hell. I can't stand doing work sometimes.... not in the way of hard labor, but just paper work. It's easy to understand and all, hell, if I "applied" myself, I would probably have Bs if not As.

mudshark

by mudshark

What the HELL does this have to do with tropical fish as a hobby??

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

nothing - - but then again this is the general community discusion area - - -so if a person who keeps fish has a life out side of his or her tank {which im assumeing we all do} this would be the place to talk about it .................no?

its got to be better than entering a yahoo chat room full of people who you dont know and would tell you to tell your parents to go screw eh?

anyway - - your parents are obviously invested in your life and care enough to get tough on you trying to get you a good all important education - - - - look at it this way

we have to do things in our tanks to get them to look and grow to what we want them to be, in your life you will have to do things to get you where you want to grow to and become - - - -buckle down some and show them you mean business and as long as they are reasonable they will work with you .............good luck - - -you will thank them later .................I promise

Boss

darkruby

by darkruby

A lot of people say that I will thank them later, perhaps your right. I jutst don't see that right now. Thanks for all your advice. Same goes for all of you.
As for Mudshark, this is a general discussion... so anything we want to talk about goes here. Go check the history of general discussion... sheesh.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Im about to graduate with my AA.......and let me tell you......my mom was hard as hell on me. And always told me school came first. Well it should. I had a hard time my first two years of college because I didnt pay attention in highschool. Because like you I didnt give a rats @#$. Its not that I couldnt do it (like you) its that I didnt want to(like you). Just saddle up and get it over with. You will be thanking yourself and your parents later in life.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ha i wish my mom threatened to take my job away..... haha make her pay my insurance haha ..... when i was 16 i was handed an application and grounded until i filled it out..... forced to turn it in and ive been there for 3 years now.... isnt that evil?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

better than getting handed an Xbox and some twinkies my friend - if your not thankful now you will be in years to come - - - -i got up everyday at 430 am (365 days a year} from the age of about 6 till i was 18 and joined the Marines, and milked 120 head of cows, made it to school on time (perfect attendance 3 years in a row} and got hme from school and milked em allover again - with my day ending at 630 pm - - - -and i am with out a doubt in my mind a better person for it, i know what an honest days wrk is, i know what a dollar is worth etc etc

Boss

21 posts • Page 1 of 3