Wow! It actually WORKED! LOL Used tank advice please :-)

3 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

So, a week before I was going to buy my babies a 55 gallon tank I lost my extra income. :-( Then I thought I had one for $50, stand and all but the woman flaked.

So, on a whim I posted this add on Craigslist:
http://cosprings.craigslist.org/wan/1055006423.html

I woke up this morning to a email saying you can have mine!! Its this guys son's and has been sitting empty. He tried to sell it for $75 but got no takers. He is giving me the tank, hood, and even his python hose! I have one but can always use the spare parts! I am going to use everything in the 30 for that tank. I already use 2 filters in there that are made for 60 gallon tanks. Just move everything from one tank to another, so there will be no need to cycle anything.

I don't know how dirty it is, so I soak it in white vinegar? I figured I would soak it and scrub it this week and then buy some more sand for it and set it up next weekend. I have a friend that is going to build me a stand this summer for free. He loves making stuff and this gives him a new project. So it will be sitting on the floor for awhile.

So, any advice on what to do with a used tank to make sure its water stable? I have always used brand new ones, except the 20 my son gave me, but I trusted him that it was fine.

I am so excited! I am moving the Planted Ram tank setup into the 30 after I get the Africans into the 55, moving the bigger fry to the 20 and going to use the 10 for the tiny fry.

jweb

by jweb

Just fill the tank and make sure it holds water, then check all of the sides and top sealants. Also check the rims for cracks.

some1fishy

by some1fishy

The tank will have condensation on the outside, so let it sit for a few days. After the tank warms, wipe it down. Then wait a day or two after and check for pools just in case it has a slow leak. If it does, you can reseal it pretty easy.

3 posts