HOB filters, am I doing it wrong?

24 posts • Page 1 of 3

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

kelbri

by kelbri

So I have been doing some reading about filters lately, and about bacteria build-up in them. But I can't really seem to find an answer on my question.

I have a 29g Top Fin setup from PetSmart. Came with the essentials, filter, heater, canopy and lights. The heater works great. Keeps my tank at 80 constant (I have a thermometer at either end of the tank, and both read the same all the time). The canopy and lights work well enough (although I am now looking at building a new canopy). The filter also seems to be working just fine. But after reading and trying to figure it out, I am only more confused.

Since my start to fish keeping, I have used the filter packs you can buy at any store that sells fish. You know the ones, the little fabric pouch that you put some charcoal in (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... 4&keepsr=0). Well, when I do a replacement, I take the old one out, throw it away, wash the new one (to get any dust particles off) and replace. But now I think to myself WHAT THE CRAP AM I DOING?!? Bacteria, in the garbage. Is that correct? Now my tank may go through a mini cycle?

Then I keep reading that some people use peat moss, or other things instead. Is that correct? By doing what the manufaturer recommends, am I putting my little friends through undue stress? Should I continue doing what I am doing, or is there something better to be done (short of purchasing more/different equipment)? Thanks for any help or direction anybody can provide.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

there should be like a "bio-sponge" or something else like that that stays in there at all times instead of just the little cartrige, this is what hold most of our bacteria in it and it is also in your substrate and decor too

kelbri

by kelbri

Yeah, I knew it was on the substrate and decor too, but just reading it sounds like not too many of the "experienced" aquarists that use HOB filters don't use the charcoal bags. Am I wrong in this? Should I be putting a bio-sponge in there as well? Thanks for the help.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I keep a small piece of filter pad in the filter and always leave it. I stuff it at the bottom. It is pretty gross looking, but that way when I replace my big pads and charcoal there is still a good piece of sponge filled up with bio load :-) I will also squeeze the gunk out of it onto a new filter pad when I replace them. But still keep it in the filter. I always use charcoal. If I don't I notice a "fishy" smell at times and it also helps keep my tanks crystal clear.

jweb

by jweb

i squeeze my sponge out every once in a while into a cup of tank water, sometimes the sponges can get overfilled with gunk and cause the system to slow down a lot.

kelbri

by kelbri

Thanks for the input. So using the charcoal helps with water clarity and removal of meds (if used) as far as I can tell. It isn't required, but is ok to use and dispose of while replacing with a brand new one. Using some kind of bio-sponge or small piece of filter pad that stays in the filter tank helps out. Am I missing anything? Sounds like I am going to either use a piece of my wifes quilting batt or head out to the LFS to get some kind of bio-sponge. Merci everyone.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

anything that provides a lot of ''surface area'' porous surfaces like sponges or the weird stuff that came with my aquaclear. rena promotes their ''star'' shaped thingies for their filstar line which is kind've like a rock hard porous sponge in the shape of a star, then there's things like bio-balls, and the granite/chicken-feed-like substance that came with my aquaclear, and marineland has their bio-wheel. These are considered optimal to be kept in the filter because the flow of water and oxygen promotes the highest concentration of bacteria. I doubt removing your carbon bag alone would cause any sort of spike. Bacteria are everywhere, that extra ''media'' just creates a reliable cushion. as long as its never rinsed with hot water or chlorine/chloramine tap water you have a very dependable home for lots and lots of bac.

I just recently started to run my planted tanks without carbon for the simple fact that the plants do a pretty good job of sucking in crap that may otherwise irritate fish, sadly they don't control the fishy smell quite as well as a nice new bag of activated carbon. :)

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

carbon mainly is a water "polisher" - gives you that crystal clear "is there water in there ?" look

if you bought the system complete from petsmart i would suggest buying another HOB filter - same size, make and model.............for two reasons

1. the filters that come in "kits" are barely big enough for the system and eventually you will be over working your filter

2. with two filters running you can service one completely while the ther remains full of your beny bacteria and then in a couple weeks {or what ever your maint cycle is} service the other one, that way you are always running at full potential and not "shocking" the lil guys with mini cycles

not only that but should a filter fail {and they do} you will have one running while you drive the speed limit to the store to replace the other, rather than going into panic mode trying to find one at 3 pm on sunday afternoon on a holiday weekend in a snowstorm {they just seem to go at the most inoportune times, lol}

same kind, size and brand obviously so all parts and cartridges fit both filters

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Boss.......why didnt you make your screen name snowbossgenius. the more movement the merrier....and you can always use the extra filteration. specially in an emergency.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

i have not run carbon in my planted for about a year, and never get a fishy smell but i do do water changes every 3rd day..... i dont usr carbon b/c i removes alot of the organic that i put in my water i.e. tannins from my drift wood, the blackeater expert and i filter through peat too, also carbon can remove some of the fetts too...

24 posts • Page 1 of 3