HOB filters, am I doing it wrong?

24 posts • Page 2 of 3

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

EVERY THREE DAYS!!!!!!!!! Id be in the poor house if I did that with my tank. you may as well run your sink straight to the tank permantly. Dang man. im impressed but thats crazyness! I went almost two months between my last water change and the one yesterday. I guess thats why I couldnt keep a planted tank to save me.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i keep tellin my wife im a genius but she has yet to get on board with that theory ............lol ..............i'm so impressed with planted tanks, but they scare the shit out of me....................theres a chinease or japanease guy who is famous for his tanks and man are they incredable .....im sure a1 knows what im talkin about, i wish i still had the link to his site .......................

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I just cant imagine a water change that often. I would be tired! lifting a bucket all the time. EWWW. I couldnt keep one, they scare/amaze the shit out of me. haha. Crazy stuff.

kelbri

by kelbri

I agree. I even shudder at just having one or two live plants in a regular tank. As for water changes, I am in your boat fishboy. Once a month, if I'm lucky, otherwise every 6-8 weeks. I need to get on a more strict schedule for sure.

So I haven't picked up anything yet for my filter (as my wife is making me finish the house painting, baseboards, bathroom reno's first). I only have a 29g tank, with 2 flame gouramis and an algae eater at the moment. Not planning on adding anything further, since as soon as I'm done all the above mentioned stuff, we'll be going into cichlids. So I'll have to find a new home for my gouramis (or put them into the 5g with my two prego guppies). So for the moment, with that small bio load in that size tank, would I need to have a second filter, other than for peace of mind?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Well since it sounds like your lazy like me. :) I would highly recommend it. I would put two aquaclear 50's on it. :) They are sweet! and easy to clean. what you have will work.......but with two of those on it.....your tank would thrive. I built my refuge so i CAN be lazy. It filters my water so well that I can get away with my every once in a while water change. A pretty large benefit of the refuge. which would be a nice benefit if you ran two 50's on your tank......with carbon. BAM you would have plenty of biological and plenty of movement and carbon and particulate. Just make sure you clean that particulate sponge at least once a week.....or it will colonize bacteria and you will have a mini cycle every time you clean your filter.

kelbri

by kelbri

Sorry to sound a little naive, but what exactly is a refuge? I have heard the term before, but not too sure on what it is. Thanks.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

That be sir takashi, boss man.
http://www.hemmy.net/2007/08/06/aquariu ... shi-amano/

I'd like to know where he gets his water...

The way I see it advanced planted tanks and sw reef tanks are both painstaking efforts at creating an ''equilibrium'' suitable to the life within's needs---unless nature gives you everything you need right on tap (literally) lol. Fortunately freshwater is easier to come by in the faucet, and generally much cheaper (so are the plants =D).

I'll let fishboy handle the 'fuge question, since I only have a concept in my mind of what it is and he---well he has one. lol

kelbri

by kelbri

I did some research on it, and the explanations I found were that it is a place to keep more docile fish, plants and such, that would get ravaged by tankmates if kept in the same tank (ie: seahorses in sw), while keeping both systems on the same filtration. The water would flow from one to the other freely, while not allowing the inhabitants of either to mix. Close?

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

amano is amazing........and i also just realized that the post i made earlier never showed up..... weird,
but the whole water change thing i really got down to an art now especially since i got into this new house, i just set up a 30 gallon trash can with a heater and a maxi-jet 600 in it i syphon water from the tank, dump it the hook up a pice of tube up to the powerhead and pump fresh back in.....15 min max........
I had to tear down my tank about amonth ago, i sold everything off b/c with the moving and all i knew i wouldnt have timme to set everything back up again right away.
I also changed from gravel to sand during this
But i have "re-started this tank 3X now since i have had it and everythim i learn alotmore and do things different and it improves 10 fold everythime, now that i am in a place that i know i will be for a long time i can really have fun with it
i will have to get some pictures up here soon
i still have alot of planting and aqua-scaping to do but things are really starting to look good, no fish yet just about a dozen ghostshrimp but i am allready seeing great plant growth......but oh well if you get a good system down as fa as waterchanges go you fish/plants/corals whatever will be so much better off and happier too it pays off in the end......

fihsboy

by fihsboy

OKAY :) This is what I live for! a refuge is (drum roll) a place for all the things that want to live in the reef but cant because of rough waters......they arent fast enough.....or they cant because its too predatorial. Example would be like mine. I have algae.....if I had a tang......that algae wouldnt be able to thrive and grow the tangs would eat it too quick. pipe fish cant live in a reef.....the would never eat, they arent quick enough, and the same goes with seahorses... I have mangroves that wouldnt be able to grow because the lights would be way too close. you could use the refuge as a secondary display and include pipe fish and sea horses..........pretty sweet way to incorporate it. and really the most optimal because you can pump water into the refuge........and let it drain back into the tank.......keeping all the copepods and amphipods intact. A (good) refuge will produce food for the rest of the tank. whether it be pods.....or algae.....it can all be fed to your main tank.....it will also pull massive amounts of nutrients from your tank......a very nice feature. I have a 5 inch sand bed........which ammounts to insane denitrification, and my phosphate and nitrate are never detectable. which is optimal. its basically a saltwater planted tank......that pulls out the poo from your main tank. its worth its weight in gold IMO. my mangroves........now that they have a 10000k bulb are growing at an insane rate which as long as you are carefull when you prune.....will take the nutrients out pretty well. I found some mangrove seeds on the coast a few weeks back.....already taking off in my sump. I have to feed my tank extra to keep my algae and mangroves alive....its kinda nice. Basically if you have a decent size refuge....with a ton of sand and some macro algae.....your tank can be care free. You just have to let your refuge get nice and seasoned. it takes time....but its completly worth it. My skimmer pulls gunk.......but nothing dark like it did before my refuge. Its really nice. low flow is optimal in the refuge, algae grows better. if you want to incorporate mud.......havent used it, but im sure it would work great.

HOB filters, am I doing it wrong?

24 posts • Page 2 of 3