acclimating fish

16 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fishkeeper90

acclimating fish

by fishkeeper90

can anyone give me some examples on how to introduce fish(clowns) to my aquarium
i already know a few just not sure though

fihsboy

by fihsboy

everyone will cringe when they hear this.......I just throw my fish in the tank when I get home. I have never lost a fish due to not acclimating them. Neither have I ever had a fish with ich. I did have one with pop eye.......but he had it when I bought him. He jumped last week...poor buddy. Anyways at least let them acclimate temp wise with the floating bag.....if you want to get all technical about it. Get a container and throw the fish and water in the container....specimen container would work nicely......put the container in the tank......hang it on the side....scoop a little water into the container every 10-15 minutes. after half an hour to an hour you should be good to go.

fishkeeper90

by fishkeeper90

thanks sounds good
i really dont think its a big deal how you do it and if it works 4 u it will prolly work for me
i just thought id ask bc im only 13 and new to saltwater but have kept fw for 4-5 yrs

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

your right fishboy.............i'm cringing.............lol,

i think you've been extremely lucky just dropping fish into your tank, your water is prolly very close to the lfs's parameters, and you've been fortunate to have gotten hardy fish..................

now while fishboy's practices have worked for him they may also work for you fishkeeper90, but in my opinion why not do it correctly for the benifiet of the fish? being new to salt water your first fish will probably be hardy and strong base fish and will probably handle a "toss" into your tank............but i guarentee down the road if you "toss" in an anemone or coral they will probably explode on you [quit literally in some cases ................

drip acclimation is the best way in my opinion and has worked every time for me
heres a good article on doing the drip method................more inportantly you need to find out what works for you - -Toss, drip, scoop, exchange............ whatever

http://www.aquaria.info/index.php?name= ... me=Printer

good luck

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Boss is right. I get all my water from my lfs...I use all the same supplements....and i dose pretty much the same of everything........I (can) throw them right in because the water is pretty much the exact same. Its like pulling them outta the tank at the lfs and throwing them right back in. If anything my water is just cleaner. But you should certainly use precaution if you buy a new fishie.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

boss doesnt want me to say this but i "tossed" in my nem after floating for prolly 20 mins and it did bad the first day but has thrived since......
Now i use drip acclimation on everything which takes roughly an hour or so

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Im with the old chuck it in style too even with coral. reasons being is yes i 2 have never lost fish using this method, and what do you think the fish shops do while doors are shut, they dont care they want out after a big day at the office. But i also by from a reputable supplier LFS and he sustains they same water quality as me.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Moral of the story:::::::::::::::::::::::: if you have a good LFS and keep your tank/tanks close to their parameters TOSS AND GO

if you order online or have a questionable LFS {which most are in my book} ACCLIMATE properly ...................

lol

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

are most lfs family owned businesses?

acclimating fish

16 posts • Page 1 of 2