acclimating fish

16 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

jweb

by jweb

i think so blueshoes, the reason is because they are specializing in a certain pet area. If it is a pet store on the other hand, most are chains.

kelbri

by kelbri

I too just float and toss. Sorry to say though, I have lost a few doing this (I have a fw tank). I am going to start using the drip though.

So what about a quarantine tank? Does anybody use them? I just got ich in my fw tank and lost 3 fish (and counting) from putting a couple new ones in from the pet store (PetSmart). I know the quarantine tank is probably the way to go, but when you only have one tank, what are you supposed to do?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

a QT tank is exactly that ....a smaller tank that has the same water parameters of your display, so in the event you need to treat a fish you can put him in there and med just that one {recycle the QT when done} or when you buy a new fish/ coral/ live rock you can put them in there and whatch them for a couple weeks to make sure they are healthy before putting them into the main display and causeing all kinds of hate and discontent----unfortunately they become lil displays as we tend to just put new fish and corals in them, lol

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

i do the ole toss and go method... the one time i tried to drip acclimate the fish jumped outta the bucket and my dog got ahold of it before i ever noticed....

Burgerking7679

by Burgerking7679

I just let the bag sit, Im going to do the drip for SW thougg as I dont want a coral that can easily live 20 years die in my tank in a few days

jweb

by jweb

i did drip method yesterday for a cherry barb, i put it into my puffer tank (very bad idea, haha). the puffer chased him over the entire tank until i took him out. So I gave him to my aunt.

the drip metthod is the best way to acclimate but you need to have a lot of time on your hands... it took about an hour and a half nearly.

acclimating fish

16 posts • Page 2 of 2