Protein Skimmer Crashing

16 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

breaknrun911

Protein Skimmer Crashing

by breaknrun911

My skimmer is beginning to go down the toilet. And I really dont want to go and spend another couple hundred bucks on another one. Is there any way I can make one homemade? Or does anyone have an extra one that they wanna get off their hands?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

ebay my friend. Why is yours crashing? I dont get it? Is it breaking? super glue the hell outta it. :) aquamend any cracks. im a firm believer in making it work as long as possible. Money is tight for a college student. Ebay though for sure.

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

Dude im in the same boat you are. trying to keep an expensive hobby, go to school. Well for one its a hand me down skimmer that the previous owner didnt care about anything so didnt take care of it. Its not breaking its just old and not doing its job as great as it should be. Ill check ebay though thz fihsboy

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

got my skimmer for 100 off on ebay, got my light off ebay as well, prolly saved bout 400 on that one

fihsboy

by fihsboy

What skimmer is it? Maybe we can throw some ideas on how to make it work. Is it venturi? or air stone or spray injection. Id like to put a fractionator impellor on my remora.....that would probably be pretty nice.

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

its a Coralife Super Skimmer Needle Wheel Venturi Super Skimmer

fihsboy

by fihsboy

ahh very nice. I enjoyed mine. Only thing that sucked......overflow problems. I used to get lazy and not always empty the stupid cup......it would always overflow. and people said..........ohh just get a 2 liter and connect them. no.........when it overflowed.....it OVERFLOWED. haha. anyways whats it doin?

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

lol thats funny. It doesnt seem to be filling up the cup as much as it used to. And I havent changed any of my routines, and I havent added anything to the tank. And its not as powerful any more either.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

hmmmmmmmm. Did you clean it really well? Soak it in a bath of vinegar. It will be like brand new........you will even have to let it break in again if you clean it throughly enough. I highly reccomend the remora or remora pro.....blue might not. :) but thats because its the only one hes ever had. Ive had the one you have now.......and I ditched it........and went with my remora. If you run a maxi jet.....its fairly quite.....but doesnt have much umph, so i hooked up a rio 1700 pumping double the gph and its AWESOME. Its louder.....and yes blue thats why your is so damn loud......you have a mag drive hooked up. But they cant overflow.....EVER, which is a huge plus. and they work really really well.

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

Kewl thx ill give the vinegar bath a try.

Protein Skimmer Crashing

16 posts • Page 1 of 2