Protein Skimmer Crashing

16 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

gdeeber

by gdeeber

breaknrun911:

I have the same skimmer as you. I have had the same problems with my skimmer that fihsboy had with his. I did clean my pump and it helped but it either overflows or dosn't make skimmate. This unit is only 7 mos old and I take great care of my equipment so there is no neglect issue. When I save up enough money I am going to buy a Aqua C. I have read nothing but great things about these skimmers but they do cost a pretty penny.

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

Thanks. I'll do some follow up on the Aqua C.

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

gdeeber:

I see you put your Hydor Korilia pump in the middle of the tank facing straight out. Ive noticed this alot in other tanks. What is the diff as opposed to the sides or corners? (anyone can answer this quest)

fihsboy

by fihsboy

you can do that for sure.....it may cause some dead spots in the back corners but everyones tank is different because of rock scapes.....I have mine in the left corner and the return in the right corner. They dont always flow 600 gph....and neither does my return.......so your looking at slight fluctualtions that will in some sense cause a wave effect.......but not really with one at either corner. Im sure he does as well because he has a return.......and there paths must meet at some time. My corals in the middle of my tank will sway back and forth.........the corals on the sides do not. I will probably be going back to my lovely closed system soon. Just want a bigger pump.

gdeeber

by gdeeber

breaknrun911:

I have 3 Hydor Korillia the largest one is in the middle and the two smaller ones are in each corner facing inward so I have decent water flow. I just recently moved all my power heads around after reading a book about reef tanks and how to set them up. They mentioned putting the power heads closer to the surface for better water/gas exchange. It also breaks surface tension so all the dust and crap that floats around your house and lands in your tank gets pushed down into the water column and through your skimmer.
Last edited by gdeeber on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i run my Korilia in the middle of my tank as well, they have a more diffused flow than a standard PH and it splits the tank with nice gentle flow .......like fish by said

i don't know exactly what your looking for in a skimmer but i love the looks of ASM and Octopus skimmers, will be running a big OCT on my wall tank for sure .......big monsters though, so if room is an issue these brands may not work for ya

Boss

Protein Skimmer Crashing

16 posts • Page 2 of 2