NEW GUY ON THE BLOCK!

24 posts • Page 2 of 3

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

lucky11237

by lucky11237

I have changed the water, added air stones, added aquarium salt (1 rounded tablespoon for every gallon at water change), added stress coat+ (2 tsp. for every 10gal.), cleaned the bottom surface, reduced feeding, and the water got more cloudier than ever. I think that the fish are going to die and there's going to be a sad little boy soon. PLEASE HELP I AM GETTING DESPERATE!

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

ok ..........first calm down a little ............meaning don't do 3-4 different things at a time ........because then you don't know what has helped or hindered you

im a salt water guy so im just asking questions that might help others - - - why are you adding salt to your tank? and why so much? are your fish showing signs of slime coat or stress rot ? if not why add so much stress coat.........what are you useing for water ...............this is a very wierd issue

also give it a little time, you posted the first post 4 days ago, so try to remain calm and make smaller changes in the tank so you can see whats working and whats not

lucky11237

by lucky11237

The guy who sold me the fish and everything else, told me to put in the salt and stress coat eveytime I do a water change. The brand of aquarium salt is API Natural Fish Tonic, and the Stress Coat+ is made by the same company (API) it's a Fish and tap water conditioner, with aloe vera. The dosage is what he told me, which he said to follow instruction on the package. I guess if you look it up on line it should say what it says on the box/bottle. for the salt it says, use salt when setting up a fresh water aquarium or fish bowl, CHANGING WATER and treating fish. The stress coat bottle says, basically the same as above, but it is more for killing the chlorine and chloramines in the water.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

ok ...............so it sounds like your on city water ? or a town water supply not a well? correct..................go to your local walmart and see if they have a culligan dispenser ..........if they do it's RO water and you can drop the chems all together,it's like 33 cents a gallon to refill the 5 gallon jugs, the first purchase of the jugs {full} wil be like 13.00 bucks, i don't know about the salt so if it's recomanded then keep useing it , if they don't have a culligan dispenser go to the food section and find the walmart brand water in gallon jugs, "value" is their brand name, you will find blue label and green label jugs, the green ones are RO filtered the blue ones are UV filtered , use the green label until you can find a better RO supply, you could try you LFS too if he's arge enough

the aloevera is throwing me for a loop to, i wuld think that would make the water cloudy but like i said im nt a fresh water guy

look at your plants closly, make sure theres no exposed metal, rusting and contaminating the tank or anyother sources, do you have cats sticking their nasty lil paws in there when no bodies looking, has your son "helped" daddy at all?

I use the culligan water and buy it 30 gallons at a time and haven't had any problems

also....when you do a water change are you makeing up your water at least 24 hours in advance and in a dedicated clean container of some sort? dish soap or cleansers leave residues foods leave residues , etc etc............if your "hot mixing" {making the water up and doing a change right away} you could be over dosing the tank

keep posting we'll all get it eventually..............unfortunatley though you might want to start preparing the lil fella for a lose or two, i know it sucks but it may be inevetable {i hope not my friend}

Boss

lucky11237

by lucky11237

I live in New York City and to my understanding the water is pretty good and clean. What the told me to do was to buy a python syphon hose (which I highly recommend to any one) I connect one end to my sink and drop the other in the tank. It fills and empties your tank with out switching the hose or any at all. It cost me more than I expected but its a nice thing to have. Anyways, I will look for that water and I have already told my son to be ready to loose a fish or two. On the feeding thing, I feed the fish twice a day and hide the food from the boy until I get home.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

feed once every other day for a week or so .......... NYC water is rated as some of the best water in the country, but thats for human cunsumption, there is chlorines, minerals from pipes and all the transfer systems ..........definately try to find RO water...........if your in NYC look for a salt water LFS and they might carry RO water in house

my opinion {and it my opinion not gospel by anymeans} is that the worlds water salt or fresh doesn't have chems in it {naturaly anyway, lol} so i don't put them in my tank...............if you balance a tank with chems as oposed to naturally, you will always have to use chems to control it

your not doing anything wrong the way your operating but by you asking questions it shows that you are moveing from fish keeper to aquarist and thats another level of care

welcome, it'll work out man

Boss

Serial324556

by Serial324556

Boss is right, Don't add any chemicals or anything to your water unless you really have to. Keep it all natural. The city water also is not all natural. Like Boss also said it's great for human consumption (so we're told) but its cleaned by humans for humans. Def. get yourself set up with some RO water, you can't go wrong there. I have a pleco and some convict cichlids and I never add anything to the water. I've had them for about a year or more now. I just leave the tank alone, I never mess with it unless I do water changes, when I do that, thats the only thing I do. The less stuff you add and the less messing with the tank, the happier the fish are gonna be.
Unless you have some sort of disease or parasite in there, this is the only time you should be adding any chemicals or antibiotics.

lucky11237

by lucky11237

MY SONS TANK FUCKING CRASHED! I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

unfortunately ..............nothing...................sorry to here it man, that really sucks

bout the only thing to do now if you want is to tear it all down and start fresh, clean everything good, {no detergents} fill it back up and start cycleing, you'll be ready for fish in a month or so

again , sorry for the lose

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I know it sucks to look at water.....but thats what you have to do....for a good solid month. Or it will crash again. Moderation is key. It takes a while to get it up and running. I went three months before I had a fish. Blueshoes went close to 6 or more. We have all had tanks crash I went through three planted boss has gone through it twice.....Just clean it out start it back up and cylce that beast. Wait a month and add one fish....wait a few more weeks and add another couple of fish.

NEW GUY ON THE BLOCK!

24 posts • Page 2 of 3