NEW GUY ON THE BLOCK!

24 posts • Page 3 of 3

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

fishkeeper90

by fishkeeper90

i would go to the nearest pet store and ask for any kind of chemical that clears cloudy water i had the same problem it worked for me and if you leave ur lite on alot that might be some of the problem

fihsboy

by fihsboy

well....personally........if the tank has been UP for three weeks........and has a couple of african ciclids......the bioload is way too massive for the bacteria in the tank. so the white in the water is a bacteria bloom.....if it has a green tint then it is an algae base. But 10 bucks says if you were to pull a droplet of water out and put it on a slide......look at it under the microscope.......it would be bacteria. Which means a bacteria bloom large enough to turn the water white......is caused by an insufficent cycle.

jweb

by jweb

just leave the tank as is, make sure you take out dead fish. wait a couple of weeks, then add your least aggressive type of fish you want. the next week add another, and so on. This will slowly get your water parameters up to par. sounds to me like it is just the fact that you added to much fish at one time and the bioload was too intense. just let it run for a while. be patient.

as for the stresscoat, it is fine to use. i use it every water change for my malawi tank. it works fine to me, without incidence. don't add salt unless your fish show signs of illness. what type of food do you feed your cichlids?

You will find that in the long run, a tank becomes easier and easier to manage. Water parameters level off, and not much can change (unless you do something drastic to the aquarium). Eventually you might have to battle algae, but other than that a weekly water change of 20-25% is normal. However a water change every 3 or 4 days is even better. As you change the water, the tank should become clearer and clearer.

Burgerking7679

by Burgerking7679

Like these guys said, you pretty much just start over and hopefully you've learned from any mistakes.

This time around though, I would change your stocklist; in the pic/info of your tank you say you have a venustus(12" at least, too big for this tank), a bumblebee cichlid(around 6", also pretty big), an OB zebra(5") and what looks like a few various pseudotropheus species. All of the fish you bought will outgrow this tank and are far too aggressive to keep in this tank anyways, so you probably would have had fish beat eachother to death until one or two remained. Im not trying to be a dick, but research is the best thing you can do for these fish.

I understand if your son wanted those fish(beleive me, it wasnt too long ago that I was getting my dad to buy me my first fishies) but personally; I feel you should go with cichlids from lake tanganyika(if you want african cichlids). Like a pair of altolamps, some shellies, julies etc. They are all really slow growers(especially altolamps) so you'd be able to happily keep these fish for a few years before having to upgrade the tank.

Sorry about the loss though, hopefully things run smoother for you next time.

NEW GUY ON THE BLOCK!

24 posts • Page 3 of 3