My tank related to school

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ok so throughout this whole expedition of reefing ive obtained a considerable amount of knowledge and it was actually nice when today in biology we started talking about the ph scale and a buffer and i knew what a buffer was because of my tank. Thats pretty nice to know that kind of stuff because it means that im actually learning outside of school. Anyway my professor was going over lab safety and stuff like that and we were supposed to take the temp of somehting outside of class and she said whatever you do dont mess with the saltwater tank , in which i didnt even kno they had, and she said you dont just stick things into those. This caught my attention and humorously i asked y not and she went on to say about how " You have no idea how hard those are to maintain" hahaha.... that just made my day having someone tell me that i dont know something as simple as that about a tank. Anyways is kinda like a lil blog i guess

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Dont you love it. Im taking Human Biology in college right now and we have the same thing. Crazy! I am also taking shorline biology.....in which we have a tank with shoal grass and a reef connected. Its pretty tight. Gotta love college. I wish my teacher would say dont touch it. I would point out two things right away that are in need of attention in the tank. It feels good doesnt it blue! We just started talkin about the PH scale....and I got excited because I started to learn some stuff in class that I didnt know from reading reef books. Cool stuff. As i mentioned above we have a shoreline biology major at my school......school is only 20 minutes from the beach and its very useful aroudn here. Keep up the good work blue. We have an interesting semester in front of us. :)

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

haha yes we will... my teacher is a smartass, id love to prove her wrong some day. I requested infromation from texas a&m in galveston for their school in marine biology and requested information for kind of an internehip at sea world in san antonio

fihsboy

by fihsboy

that would be awesome! Im going for business management........of course I could always change my major. :) Im going to University of North Florida. My teacher is too smart for his own good. Has no clue how to teach......but hes smart as hell.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

haha i can picture that.... gotta hate those guys.... are you doing all 4 years there? and im guessing a bachelors?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

yeah. My boss told me if I keep up what im doing at Kohls.....and I stay in school....theres a good chance I will be promoted to full time as soon as I graduate.....If I am willing to re locate. :) I hate professors that know everything. Hes cool.......but hes hard as hell, because he just expects you to know what he has learned over 30 years as a MD.

Burgerking7679

by Burgerking7679

Bio was the only part of general science(highschool, I'm a young'n) I enjoyed(and passed). I bitched a teacher out about the tank she was keeping a full grown flowerhorn in, not to mention the crappy ass sponge filter she was running on it. It was almost a foot long fish, in a 40g tank with a 40g sponge filter... Uhh yah.

Anyways, old bag retires this year, cant wait.

Good to hear that our hobby teaches us stuff that might actuall come in handy one day.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

indeed it does. That is the exact reason i invested in this almost 2000$ tank, to learn more about life in the sea. And it is doing a dang good job of it as well. I love my tank more than anything else i have. Since im going to dive right into the coral/ reef part of the hobby i will learn even more. Fihsboy wehn u gunna post pics of your corals??

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I need to man, Ill try to this weekend. Im doing homework now or I would now. Accounting SUCKS. just so you know. Im trying to figure out if I can put a 250 halide plus my VHO's over my tank......I have the stuff I just have to figure out how to fit it in a hood....:) I could run normal output for sunrise and sunset and then the halide. Right now its daylight or night time. You should take a diving course! I bet you would have a good time. Im cerified. :) my dad is a dive master. Hes had over something like 2000 dives? I dunno he used to teach back in the day. and worked at a shop on the weekends in his younger days. He had an air tank explode in a demo with some students....blew the one instructors stomach completly out and it killed him.....scarred my dads chest and arms, looks like he got hit by a grenade.......which he basically did. Crazy stuff. But if your careful your good.

gumbii

by gumbii

cool topic...

anyways... i hate the ignorance of some people... why does everyone say that marine nano tanks are so hard to maintain... and when i say nano i mean anything smaller than the ocean itself should be named a nano...

that said... reef keeping along with everything else isn't hard... you just have to learn enough to maintain it... that is all... it isn't expensive to maintained and it shouldn't be... but setup is another subject though...

but still... i hate when people are like... "i want a saltwater tank, but i hear that they are hard to keep"... damn i feel like punching they folk... it's stupid... i met a little kid at my favorite LFS buying a half a gallon of SW and a gallon of R/O water for his 10g reef... he had a yumma and other ric's and exotic polyps... he said his dad has a 60g, but the 10g is his tank and his dad doesn't do anything to help him out... this kid was 14... he was on a bike... lol... but he read all of his dad's books, and asked the dude of the LFS for info... man i think that that's one awesome kid... a future jose costas or takeshi amano...

anyways... sorry for the rant... but srsly... don't tell people that it's hard... you do come accross problems and other stuff, but that's all part of the hobby and learning process...

like right now my tank is infested with soft coral eating nudibranch and polyp eating nudibranch... sigh... and my phosphates are high... but all of that can be fixed with patience... and i have flatworms too... but it's all good...

13 posts • Page 1 of 2