My tank related to school

13 posts • Page 2 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

yeah ill have to get my certification sooner or later, prolly when im down on the coast iwth school

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I have to say....ive only really thought one part was hard......when I tried to have a 2.5 gallon tank. The hard part was being on the ball with top offs. And trying to find a way to filter it or just move the water without taking up the whole tank with powerhead. a 9x4 tank is small.......and its damn near impossible to take care of as a reef. My 29 is technically a nano reef......but I dont feel like it is. Besides the fact that I have to be careful what I put in there for size concern. I think with proper care and love anything can be done. I want to try the 2.5 again....but not until I get an auto top off......:) Probably do a cup water change a week. :) It would be cool to have........but I just couldnt keep all my levels down. Blue you should do it for sure! Its great! Im taking my girlfriend to the keys this summer for 4-5 days....I guess I need a top off unit built by then for the ole 29. But were going on a snorkeling trip....btw shes scared to DEATH of sharks. So lets just hope when she sees one she wont freak out. In all honesty she probably wont even know its a damn shark. I cant wait to go fishing!!!!! Its going to be a blast! Anyone want some dolphin fish? mahi mahi? Pay for shipping and Ill send you one if I catch one.....or shark? We usually catch at least 40-50 fish when we go to the keys...over a few days. I will certainly be bringing back some algaes from down there. Mangroves are protected by the law unfortunatly. maybe some live seagrass and REAL live sand from the OCEAN. :)

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Well, its kind've a matter of perspective gumbii. I see SW as daunting and intimidating because I lack the time, resources, and physical room in my apartment (thanks to my gf) to learn by doing. Also because everything I've read up until this point seems to indicate that depending on what sort of SW tank you want to maintain, there is potentially always more to it than any freshwater setup. Granted T. Amano has spent countless hours and dollars on his tanks, hell he even has a shrimp named after himself -- if you want to push yourself to his limit in saltwater ---I think you'd have to be gifted -- there IS (at least from my perspective) more to it. Down to the simplest fact that there are more water params to take into consideration. Lets say my vals, mosses, grasses, and swords get wiped out by cyanobacteria which is happening right now -- its gonna take me $15-20 to replace all of it, or I could just take plants I'd normally remove by thinning from my other tank in a week or two. I get a nice big reef tank, something happens to cause all my corals to melt, well -- not so easily replaced.
I get what you're saying I just don't see a reason to hate, for example, my ignorance. Its mine and I'll gladly admit to it. lol Not taking anything personal here, just saying.

My tank related to school

13 posts • Page 2 of 2