local fish flavors

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

kelbri

local fish flavors

by kelbri

Maybe there is a topic out there already, but I am just wondering, what type of fish (fresh or salt) are in your area? Also, do you/would you think about keeping them in a tank? I have noticed that people usually don't keep native fish, they always want to go exotic.

Being from Saskatchewan, we have a lot of sport fishing, northern pike, walley and trout, but we also have perch, whitefish, suckers, and on. I can't really keep anything from the local lake/river, as most of them get too big, but perch would be the closest thing to tank size, and even then I wouldn't want to keep one in anything less than about 100g. I would love to grow some monster pike, but I would need something about the footprint of my house to do so. Dang, those things can get big.

Burgerking7679

by Burgerking7679

I think the only 'tank friendly' fish in my area are minnows, lol. The rest of the fish are bass, and walleye. There are some sunfish a little further north but I really dont know how big they'd get.

vwfan79

by vwfan79

There are all the same fish in my area.....bass, perch, walleye, sunfish, bluegills, catfish, pike and so on...... I have used a fishing net and caught some fish out of my lake and kept them in a tank for awhile.....they didn't seem to happy coming from a lake to an aquarium so they went back after a week or so....It was kinda cool to watch some fish from my lake in an aquarium though....would definitely need a pretty large tank to house them any period of time.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i live on the Hudson river..............so if i did a local environment tank...you wouldn't be able to see in it ..............lol

the hudson is nasty

Serial324556

by Serial324556

yeah boss, youd have to add some tires and biohazard materials to the tank. Maybe even a body if you wanna make it look truly authentic.

Burgerking7679

by Burgerking7679

you'd need to add human feces on a regular basis... just squatting over my tank thats all.

dawgtrain

by dawgtrain

LOL.....I live by lake erie imagine that....

gumbii

by gumbii

i get carp in my back yard... well... the river that runs thru my back yard...

LeviNHeidi4480

by LeviNHeidi4480

I agree Kelbri, I have also wanted to try perch in a tank before. I live in North Dakota, so we have the same fish species. I have caught Sunfish in Minnesota before, and they remind me of a Discus fish. They have some beautiful blue and orange coloring, and I believe the state record is around 2-3 lbs, so you would need a pretty good size tank.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Theres small reefs about 10-20 miles offshore here. I guess thats local. as far as ponds...pretty much everything. We have the St.Johns River. Which is the only river in the norther hemisphere that flows north. Its a freshwater river...but has salt too. Every once in a while you will see a dolphin or two....yes in the river. Considering Florida is the fishing capital of the world.........theres just about everything around here. You could probably make a pretty sick florida planted tank.

local fish flavors

12 posts • Page 1 of 2