Algae Problem

18 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fishfreako

Algae Problem

by fishfreako

The water has been flowing through the tank for about two weeks. More algae has begun to grow as the nitrite and nitrate levels become lower. the algae on the live rock and sand is brown while the algae on the glass is green and feathery and growing like crazy. Does anybody know what is going on and what I can do about it?

Thanks,

Cornelius

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

it's called diatom algae..................a very normal phase in a new cycling tank, blow the crude off the rocks and sand with a turkey baster every day and do 10% water changes at least once a week and let it run it's course - - -could take 4-8 weeks, i don't like chems so i say wait it out and you'll have a very solid tank in time

Boss

fishfreako

by fishfreako

I was hoping to get two chromises today. Is this okay with the algae problem?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

it's a little early................i wouldn't add any fish for at least 6 weeks ...............i did a "fish cycle" my first go round at this hobby and fought algae and super crazy swings in parameters and eventually had a complete tank failure

the secong time i just did a a natural cycle, used a table shrimp to get the nitraes and scum going and 3 months later started stocking...............1 yr 4 months later and she's pretty much bullet proof, i don't use chems of any sort and actually have been running for about 3 months with out a skimmer {not by choice by wallet,lol}

good choice on the first fish, chromis are tough hardy fish, but i would wait a few more weeks

Boss

fishfreako

by fishfreako

actually i got 7 non permanant damsel fish, ive grown attached to a domino angel, not to big, about an inch long. really like him, do you think i can keep him. i think I'm putting in some small fish from 1 to 4 inches. will this little guy work with the others or could he go after the other fish alot?
i need info. fishfreako

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

i would disagree about water changes until cycling has completed, you remove some of what you are trying to encourage by doing them. give it a stir up to remove diatom off substrate like boss said with a baster but leave the filter remove it not a water change.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

if your tank is the same now as it is in your pic {great start by the way} i would add more current, be it another power head, a SCWD or a closed loop set up {all DIY stuff if your handy} ..............46 gallons is a good bit of area to keep stired up - - -thats just my opinion, i like a lot of current I.E. i have a korilia nano power head and my rapids pro filter cycles 700 gallons per hour ...........and thats on a 20 gallon tank along with a wood air stone in the tank ....i ramp things up till the sand is vibrateing...lol

this would also help with the algae issues {not a cure, but sure helps}

Boss

fishfreako

by fishfreako

thanks for the help about the fishtank. i got a koralia 2 water circulater and a filter that pumps water 800 gallons per hour. please tell me about the damsels, will he work with the other fish? he is the black one with the dots, not stripes thats another one. well..... thanks for all the help about the fish and tank, take a look at the pics i got of my fish. fishfreako
16b39-fish tank 005.jpg
6d02c-fish tank 006.jpg
96ced-fish tank 007.jpg

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

if he's the only one in the tank, he may be ok, but as a rule Damsels are nasty lil buggars..........cute as hell but nasty mean none the less

i would think in a bigger tank like yours one damsel won't be to teritorial, you should be ok

fihsboy

by fihsboy

see my damsel kinda got pushed around.....to death(literally). My two clown fish....also damsels torturted the HELL out of the black and white striped damsel. And they do with ANY fish I put in there........except my 6 line wrasse. He is never bothered....but hes bigger and a LOT faster.

Algae Problem

18 posts • Page 1 of 2