Algae Problem

18 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

yeah...........clowns are just dams in pretty clothes..........i have been thinking about adding a fish to my tank but with two clowns id be affriad they'd go ape on a newcommer like yours did

i don't have enough room in my tank for a wrasse

fishfreako

by fishfreako

thanks for all the help, i think im gonna keep the little domino, and the algae is starting to clear off. dude i'm only eleven, clean up your language or my mom won't let me on anymore. thanks again for all the help. fishfreako

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Did I say something? cause I deffinatly didnt say any words boss didnt say. But tell your mom were sorry, we will keep it clean around you. Glad to have you in the hobby kiddo.

fishfreako

by fishfreako

i got a problem. one of my fish had an eye problem where there was a white bubble over its eye. today i found him stuck in my filter. i think he swam through one of the holes that lets in water. should i put something up over the holes? do you think he could have died and then got sucked in? what should i do to block the holes from the fish, but let the water keep going through the filter? the fish was dead so i'm down to 6 fish, i hope the rest make it. fishfreako

newbie916

by newbie916

I believe most of the fish sink to the bottom when they die, so he probably got stuck in the filter. I've had several snails and 3 peppermint shrimp get sucked into a powerhead. There's really not much you could do. I ended up replacing the old powerhead with another Koralia and haven't had any problems. I don't know if you should put anything over your filter because it may get clogged. The other guys maybe able to help you more.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i wouldn't add anymore fish for a while freako.............if you have fish dieing theres a problem in the tank, high amonia, high nitrite or nitrites.............do you have a test kit? if not get one soon, if so post your parameters and people can give you advise to adjust things.............watch your feeding and light cycle and let things run for a while before doing much else

if i posted something that offended you or your parents i apologize, but please remember this is a predominantly adult site and we welcome all aquarists of all ages and as a rule we don't use profanity and its usually addressed if out of hand but it does happen on occasion so be prepared my young friend............lol ...........good luck and keep us posted bud

Boss

fishfreako

by fishfreako

i was told that the damsels were supposed to aid in cycling the water and that within a month, the cicle would be done. i do have a test kit and the levels are... temp. 79.7, salinaty 1.023 and i got that back up to 1.025, ph 8.2+, amonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate at around five which is the lowest i,ve had them. the guy at the fishstore told me to expect the levels to spike up annd then drop down one by one. no other fish have died so i think that i,m o.k. for now, thanks fishfreako

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

damsels have long been a standard practice for cycleing tanks .............the newer concenses is that there are other ways to acomplish the same thing........the cycle of a tank is a very violent caustic environment for a fish levels change hourly, waste, toxins etc .....it would be like us trying to live with high carbon monoxide or breathing ammonia, i always ask those that swear by useing fish for a cycle why they don't use 5-6 coral beauties or 3-4 morish angels ..................the reason? they cost alot and damsels are cheap so there realy is no reason to use live fish

a piece of regular old table shrimp in the tank for a week or two will accomplish the very same thing and you don't stress or kill live fish

now don't take me wrong, im not degradeing you in any way, if you were taught to do it that way, thats all you know................i just want to show you there are better more responsable ways to do it

as far as the tank goes ........your parmeters look good, i would say if you can maintian those numbers solid for a couple weeks without having to do major work to keep them, then you are ready to start stocking the tank

good luck

Boss

Algae Problem

18 posts • Page 2 of 2