IMMEDIATE RESPONSE NEEDED

29 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

k now my nem is letting stings of goo come out and kinda folding back in........... im really starting to get worried. Noe my scarlet crabs over the past few days have faded from the billiant bright red coloration to more of a duller red. My last astrea snail died and i see a nassarious on hte glass and his foot has taken on a black coloration. Fish seem to be fine.... i dont feel good about my tank right now any response is helpful.

schigara

by schigara

Is his mouth gaping open?

What are all your water paramters?

temp
ph
alk
ca
ammonia
nitrite
nitrate

The tank has been running for about 5 months? What kind of lighting? Any clowns beating it up?

Your tank is really too young for a nem.

schigara

by schigara

Also, have you tried feeding it and what was it? Usually about half a silverside 2-3 time a week is normal. Does it willingly take food?

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ok im doin water tests now, fixing to do a 10 gal water change, temp is 74 even, ph is 8.3, i dont have alk or cal or copper test kit, ammonia is zero, nitrite is zero and nitrate is between 10 and 15. Im running a metal halide / pc combo totalling 380 watts so its like 5.52 watts per gallon or something like that. The nem is about 3/4 extended or whatever you want to call it and his tenticles are bubbled at the top, i cannot see his mouth. When i attached my remora i had to use a fitting to connect the inlet of hte remora to the hose that goes to the mag drive and it was metal, it looks like brass to me but im no handyman. I took out the mag drive with the hose and the fitting. The tank is still young im approaching 6 months running. When i could see hte nems mouth last night it wasnt open but he was outstretched completely and remained that way until i fell asleep at least at like 1 am. When i woke up he was sucked inside his trunk or whatever, came out as soon as i put the lights on. I have noticed that the salinity is high about 1.025 and when i put my other fish in the tank the water from the store was i would guess around 1.023 to 1.022. Schig whats your email and i will email you pics

schigara

by schigara

schigara@gmail.com

I would bring temp up to at least 76-77deg

Open mouth is for extended period of time is bad.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

k i sent 5 pics , temp in hte summer reached 82 but with my light it doesnt drop below 74, im kind of worried aobut over heating in hte summer.

schigara

by schigara

Just looked at the pics. He doesn't look bad. I wouldn't move him much as that will piss him off more. Find a place in the tank where there is not much flow and position some rocks where you can place him in a triangular crevice. They like to feel secure with their foot attached deep inbetween rocks so they can retract if they feel threatened.

If the light is too bright or the flow is too hard or they can't get a foothold in a secure crevice, they will detach and float around until they finally find a place they like.

If he does die, he will spew all his guts and will make the tank cloudy. It's not too terribly toxic. Just remove the dead animal, do a water change and run carbon.

schigara

by schigara

One more thing. If he's been under lower lighting than what you have over your tank, that could be pissing him off. He might need a week or two to get used to the Halides. Maybe raise the lights up a few inches and shorten the photoperiod.
Last edited by schigara on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

well... thats def better news than i was expecting. Do you happen to have an idea of hte normal time period that it takes for a clown to began hosting a nem? I would think like after 2 weeks i would be SOL. One other thing is that he is attached to a piece of something , looks like dead coral, he was attached to it from the LFS , he was propagated from another nem in captivity and i guess thats what they put him on idk. About silversides... is that something bought at the lfs or something bought at a supermarket?

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ok so update..... one step forward two steps back..... the fitting that went into the inlet to the skimmer and outlet from the pump was indeed made out of copper. It was in the tank for about a week. Would it b best to just stick a stick of dynamite in it and light the fuse....

29 posts • Page 1 of 3