Koi sucked rock in HELP

37 posts • Page 1 of 4

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

lnoel

Koi sucked rock in HELP

by lnoel

Hi there,
I am new to this gallery and was hoping that someone mayhave some good advice for me. My koi, 2 yrs old, must have been doing his vaccuming on the bottom of the tank, and I just seen the culprit that has been making him act wierd since yesterday. He has a rock lodged in his mouth, too far in for me to go in with tweezers. Does anyone know how I can help him get this out?? Thanks

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

umm idk if u cant reach it with tweezers..... if its not passed his gills try holding him and pulling him backwards going fast and maybe water going through the gills will dislodge it... i really have no clue

fihsboy

by fihsboy

take him to the vet. :) SOME vets will take fish. Probably cost you around 20-40 bucks to pull it out.....maybe cheeper to just buy a new fish. Hopefully he will bet okay though! If you can see it.....you can get it.

texasfishlover7598

by texasfishlover7598

i think cecking the vets wont be to hard and i wouldent try the pulling him back but thats just me

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

interesting problem ....please let us know how it turns out..............how big is this fella? it may sound archaic but in in the fishing section of most stores you'll find a wierd looking pair of pliers made to reach down the throats of fish to retrieve swallowed hooks..........might try to find something like that or a medical grade tweezer thats really long for the same purpose...... i agree, pulling him backwards, although a logical move blue, would be more stressful to the lil fella and may cause more damage ...............if gills and fish were made to go backwards they'd swim that way

good luck man

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Hey what about getting a piece of air line tubing......putting one end on the rock.....sucking on the other end and trying to suck/pull at the same time? Just an idea.

kei9th

by kei9th

you can find long hemostats (roach clips) i use a pair for work, they are about 10 inches long. usually at a medical supply store.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

thats getting a little to personal with a fish for me ...............lol................try to explain that to the wife when she walks in and your sucking face with a big fat koi ....LMAO !!!!!!

fihsboy

by fihsboy

HA yeah....true....But it would probably work....if you could get him to stay still. you could get the size bigger than air line tubing....and a luft pump...start the luft.....make sure you get the hose on the rock and not his gills. Cause that would suck....literally.

lnoel

by lnoel

thak you all. I am going to try the hemo's and
suction. Hope one of these work. I will have to upload pics, he is about 11" long now. He is a big boy. Boss, yes my hubby may be a little jealous... :) I will upload some pics soon. Have a great day!

Koi sucked rock in HELP

37 posts • Page 1 of 4