Cleaning with Bleach

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

fomoco4ever

Cleaning with Bleach

by fomoco4ever

I personally don't use bleach to clean my tank but I know a couple people that do. I was wondering if anyone on here does or tried cleaning with bleach. Both people I know have never had any problems cleaning with bleach and it works really really well. Whats everyone opinion???

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I would never use pure bleach to clean anything on any tank. The possibility that undiluted traces may be left behind is too risky. The most widely accepted diluting ratio is 19:1. That's 19 parts water to 1 part bleach, followed by vigorous and thorough rinsing with hot water on whatever you're cleaning before it comes near the tank if it has water in it...
Keep in mind that something as simple as exposing a plant as hearty as an anubia to this diluted solution for more than several minutes would kill it.

adehaan86

by adehaan86

With a empty tank, I used 100% colrex bleech. I have cleaned my 55 gallon tank with it from top to bottom, I ran filter for a long time and did like 3 water changes before I put fish in. I would still use it on parts as long as it's not near the tank. I would only use it to clean the item first.. Rinse in water then dry!.

fomoco4ever

by fomoco4ever

The two people I know that use it clean all the ornaments with bleach cause it kills algae in like 5mins and makes everything look like new. They rinse everything off very thoroughly then put everything back into the tank. My one neighbor has been doing it for 40 years and never had any problems with it. Anyone else on here use bleach on a regular basis???

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

never use bleach...even a trace amount

do not use window cleaner to clean outside glass

I simply wet a clean sponge, wring it, so it is only damp, run it across the outside and wipe with a towel. This is it.

As for the inside, purchase some otocinclus catfish and snails, they will pleasurably clean ALL the inside glass you have.

never bleach, never detergent, never ever any chemical even the "safe" chemical that fish stores may have.

plain water and towel

hope this helps

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

i use bleach i used bleach to kill the red hair alage on my live plants....had a massive problem with it when i upped my lighting and a quick 5 second bath in bleach water then a good rinse in fresh problem solved, and i have an extreamly healthy tank... i see no problems with it if you do it right

giggity

by giggity

I would never use bleach in or around my tank.... Its just not smart....

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

like i said if you use it right it is fine....not to sound selfish at all or anything i think i have one of the nicer planted tanks of the active members on here and i have used bleach on several occasions

fireaxxe

by fireaxxe

Bleach when used in small amounts or rinsed correctly is safe. As an emergency water purifier a human can drink 1/2 teaspoon per 5 gallons of water. Make sure that you rinse everything very well. I would only use it on things that you can easily rinse that won't absorb it.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I use it at times. I use it to kill the algae on my fake plants and sometimes my real plants.

What I do is add about 1/8 of a cup to a bucket of water. Then I soak the fake plants in it for about 5 minutes. I then rinse them off and soak them in a bucket of water that has 10 times the declor needed for a big tank. I leave them in that for about an hour. I then rinse again and again until I no longer smell it. A 5 minute bath will kill all algae and you wont even need to scrub them. After awhile algae gets down deep into the small areas of fake stuff that a brush cannot get to. Doing this will kill it and my tanks will not have an algae problem for a few months.

For real plants, I add less bleach, just a small squirt, then soak them, large plants for 1 minute, small for 30 seconds.. Same thing with rinsing. I have yet to have a plant die from this. If their leaves are covered in brown or green algae, they come out with no algae!

I only do this when I am getting a serious algae problem (everything looks brown instead of green). I DO NOT use bleach on things that can absorb it, like drift wood.

You just have to be very careful is all. I have 2 books that explains how to do it,, plus you can find it on google.

Cleaning with Bleach

12 posts • Page 1 of 2