The difference is 10 dollars....

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Which light should I get?

30" sunpod?
57%
30" T5?
43%

Total votes : 7

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I am limited on what I can choose for my tank......so I have two fixtures I am looking at. Help me pick one. :) The problem is if I get a sunpod....one metal halide will cast a 2-3 inch shadow at both ends of the aquarium, and if I get the T5's will it be enough?

Metal Halide
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~ ... ndor~.html

T5
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~ ... IT53U.html

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

I vote T5, + i dont like Hqi fixtures, Have you seen these, they make em in 8,10, and 12 bulb also, you could keep any sps you wanted, and the bulbs can last 18 months,
http://cgi.ebay.com/30-Aquarium-Light-T ... 7C294%3A50

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Well I have been looking at overall costs of T5 and its siginficantly less to replace and to run. So im kinda leaning towards them. Have you tried these fixtures? The only reason im going with the name brand is its a lot of money to go with something else and have to put up with something that just works.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Well I have been looking at overall costs of T5 and its siginficantly less to replace and to run. So im kinda leaning towards them. Have you tried these fixtures? The only reason im going with the name brand is its a lot of money to go with something else and have to put up with something that just works.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

I dont use these lights, but my lfs has the 12 bulb fixture, i will try to get some pics for you, i am going there today after work,

fihsboy

by fihsboy

sweet man, I appreciate it. Im going to post some new pics today as well. gotta meet the girl friend and then stopping by the lfs to get a cucumber to clean my freakin sand. or possibly a sand sifter starfish. dunno yet. As long as those fixtures work well, I dont see a problem. I just dont want to drop some cash and it be crap. I would be upset. haha.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

I here ya, my lfs has had his for 3 or 4 months no issues, and they look good 2

fihsboy

by fihsboy

sweet dude ill look into them for sure.

TheCoralReef

by TheCoralReef

i vote sunpod, i have a 150 watt sunpod and its the best light i ever owned. i also had T5's on my 40 gallon, but the MH looks better, + i bleached some things with the T5s, if you do get T5 dont underestimate their output power, a 39 watt T5 bulb is like a 96 watt pc or more.

TheCoralReef

by TheCoralReef

the 12 bulb T5 at joes? i was just there and i was telling him to line the fixture with powerbrites just like he did with his MH prop tank, have you been to randy's yet? he set up another prop tank that is loaded with stricktly sps

14 posts • Page 1 of 2