overflow/sump?

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

vwfan79

overflow/sump?

by vwfan79

I am about to set up a sump for my 90 gallon tank. This is freshwater, but I figured that you saltwater guy/gals would be more knowledgeable about this subject. I'm just wondering what size sump to use (how many gal) I have a 35gal or a 55gal tank I could use. Same question for the overflow box, or does that depend on the size of the sump.

Thanks for the help

fihsboy

by fihsboy

bigger the better. More stability. In saltwater....evaporation makes salt levels fluctuate....freshwater it doesnt matter as much. If your going to overstock the hell out of your tank....go with the 55....if not.....go get a simple 20 gallon long and you could keep everything you need in that easy.

littlej2455

by littlej2455

I would use the 55. It is always better to use more water. It just makes your tank more stable, and in my opinion easier to clean and maintain. Go big or go home. haha

vwfan79

by vwfan79

as for the overflow, any suggestion on weather or not to use a box design or just pvc. Don't really know the advantage or disadvantage to using one from the other.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

best way is to have the tankdrilled............then you don't have the headache of flooding in a power outage.........tom aquatics makes a nice HOB overflow with and aqualifter pump that restarts the syphon for you if you don't want to drill.................wier overflows have been used since the 70's

i still say drilling is the best way.....im useing a tom aquatics overflow now and it has a tiny air leak so it doesn't always restart, so the system can be flawed....the new tank will be drilled for sure

Boss

vwfan79

by vwfan79

I just thought of something, do you need to use another filtration source seeing how these overflows only collect matter at the top of the tank?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i guess i don't know what you mean Dub, the over flow works like a surface skimmer and all the stuff drops down into the sump where filtration can be handled in a few different ways..........a floss tray, filter sock, containers of some sort .................or lke in salt systems with a refugium,skimmer amd live rock - - - unless some physically blocks the overflow everything goes to the sump

Boss

vwfan79

by vwfan79

I think I got it, but what I meant was, like you just said a surface skimmer. What about any debris floating around, say, in the middle level of the tank. Do you need a power filter to catch that, or should the water movement from the overflow/sump get that.
Thanks for all the help Boss

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

power heads in the tank to keep your water column turning over .........also the return from the sump will help with this...............depending on how much current your fish like will dictate how many or how big you want your power heads to be

fihsboy

by fihsboy

all your harmfull stuff hangs around the top ....dust....debris....hairs....oils...wastes. So with an overflow you get all that nasty stuff out. a power filter operates on the same manner......except it only gets two or three inches down. So with an overflow it gets all the gunk your powerfilter wouldnt. Please take into consideration that shit happens....My tank has overflowed three times now. If you use a box type overflow....or any over the back overflow......make sure nothing can get in it. NOTHING. A snail got caught in mine two nights ago and I almost tore down my tank because of everything it messed up. Just bullet proof your overflow if you put one in.

overflow/sump?

12 posts • Page 1 of 2