Buying Fish Online?

27 posts • Page 1 of 3

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

vwdank

Buying Fish Online?

by vwdank

Hi I'm new here and was wondering what everyones opinion is on buying fish online. I have noticed that the price online is much cheaper than the one descent Fish store I have here in town(sorry not buying fish at petsmart)

And if you do buy online where from?

I appreciate any help and/or opinions

All right I'll post another question here:
Has anybody had any experience with figure 8 puffers I saw one at the store and would like to purchase I'm thinking about keeping him in a tank by him/her self but was wondering if there are any other fish that they could share space with

thanks

Hank

vwdank

by vwdank

Is it some sort of Taboo to talk about buying fish online

I'm just curious if you do or don't

cyndrine

by cyndrine

i have never bought fish online. I personally would not. I like to see first hand the fish i am taking home. and see if their personality would fit in with some of my characters. My cichlid herds the other fish around like a shephard if she doesn't like where they are.

TIMnMISS4687

by TIMnMISS4687

I almost bought online, but you cant really pick through the bad ones. I like to pick out the fish with the longest tails or the funny spot. Thats hard to do when "they" do it for you.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Buying fish online is risky... you cant see the environment they are being kept in... at the fish store you can see how well taken care of they are, or better yet, if they are neglected. Imagine you buy a fish online from a tank where there are a few dead fish in from disease, how would u know not to pick that fish? And i agree with previous poster that the personality of the fish can be chosen in person, and that far outweighs the cost u will be saving. If you live in a town where there arent many options of fish, find a reputable source before buying, if they offer that online its fine, just be sure who you get it from. good luck

silas313

by silas313

http://liveaquaria.com/?ratemyfishtank.com/vendors.php

they advertise this iam new but i emailed the guy about the shipping and how fed x doesnt take care of anything because i work with em:) and know but he assures that they only die do to the fact if they dont arrive on time.. but they do have guarrantee.. but it is risky but also walmart and petco is too lol so take ur chance and gl

snowboss

by snowboss

I've never purchased an online fish, but I'm seriously entertaining it, sponge has a good point about being able to see what your buying when your at a store.......but in my situation I've been through 3 LFS's that have all in one way or another pointed me in the wrong direction eventually causeing a complete tank failure, - one didn't believe in live rock,one stressed catostrophic {like 95%} water changes, and one was just someone who should stick to selling hamsters and stay away from saltwater fish , hell fish pieriod.lol I'm in the middle of a new cycle, a little wiser and a little more broke, lol - - but with the 14 day guarentee that comes with the more reputable online guys I think I'm going to try a purchase here in the next few weeks and see how that works - -don't get me wrong, a good knowledgable LFS is priceless and I would rather have a personal relationship with someone invested in my tank with me ...but ...other than some really good people on this site, I don't have that luxury right now....I'll post the online purchase expieience when it happens - - -good luck to all

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

snowboss please do tell us about the experience, i would also really love to know how the fish comes shipped (packaging, etc)... i wonder how stressful that is for the fish, etc. But i'm not opposed to it, if done right it could be an advantage over the less caring or misinformed LFS that u have unfortunately encountered. I'll keep an eye out for your next post.

timnmiss

by timnmiss

yes, me too. I am listening, and I agree.....but it would be nice to be able to buy some of these fish online. Mostly because of the variety. I imagine these fish are coming from the same places that Wal m and Petco and Earl may are getting some of their fish. If so, it may be better to get from these onlien places.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

update : singapore has posted on the salt side - a posative expierience with buying online

titled "liveaquaria"

Buying Fish Online?

27 posts • Page 1 of 3