new tank disasters

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Tizz

new tank disasters

by Tizz

I just started a new saltwater tank, with the intent of building a reef tank. The tank was cycling normal, when I experienced a large diatom (brown algae) outbreak. This happened after I introduced hermit crabs into the mix. Now the brown algae is not going away, and it is producing bubbles all over the rocks and in the substrate. What should I do to get rid of this stuff, and if time is the only thing, how long does it take. I also have two issues

1. I keep getting air accumulating in one of my U-tubes, which keeps threatening tobreak siphon. How do I stop this.

2. I read a outdated forum, and started up with crushed coral as a substrate. I
am debating on changing to sand, but I need to know what real benefits I
would get, and if they are really good, what depth I should go? Also size
of granules would be helpful.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Welcome TIZZ - -I am the snowboss, resident fish killer {sigh} funny you should post these questions and while I may not have an exact answer for you here is what happened to me . . . . . . Started a 20 gallon long FOWLR tank right at Christmas time....cycled through 6 damsels [all dead] {will never do a cycle with fish again} had crushed coral substrate about an inch deep. after the main Nitrate, Nitrite and amonia spike was done I got green hair algae BAD, fix was a large water change {wait read on before you go dumping water} then the bubble brown junk......this was weeks on end, with me blowing everything off daily with a turkey baster and 25% water changes weekly, Finally today I got mad and proceeded to do a huge 50% change rolled the crushed coral around and screened a lot of it out [basically turned the tank upside down and shook it for 2 hours - -put my very healthy very cool very fun Damsels back into the tank only to have them die in about an hour . . . . . . . so after talking to the SALT WATER PIMP . . . . who has been right on with his advise . . I have replaced the coral with 2 inches of live sand, added a couple more lbs of live rock and left one of the dead damsels in there for a cycle . . this tank will be empty for a month minimum

So ....in my opinion get the coral out, get live sand and live rock and wait, the disadvantage of crushed coral is that it is very pourus and deep so uneaten food, fish crap, algae, you name it gets down into it and that makes it even harder to deal with, clean the top and ten minutes later it's back again, sand is tighter and will protect the benifietial bactierias and lil critters, plus all the garbage stays on the top, making it easier to clean thus keeping the bioload in check, do 10% water changes weekly, no more no less, watch the water parameters, and BE PATIENT - - i've burned through about 500 bucks in 5 weeks because I couldn't be patient - - -your reading from a new man, LOL broke . . . but a new outlook, there are a lot of good people in here, my advise is to ask as many questions as you can get as many answers as you can and make an educated choice that works for you in your tank..I could go forever, it's been a very long very emotional very costly day at the Boss's house ..good luck and welcome again ...it is all worth it, SnowBoss

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

does you over flow have a filterbag/bubble catcher??tizz if you are getting bubbles under the algae. probably means you dont have much current in the tank . or not channeled right.i like aragonit its not to fine and not to coarse.less likely to accumilate debries.with the right water movement. my sand would shake.i had alot of water movement.also i cant sit here and lie and say i never got brown algae because i have.everyone does.but as long as you keep your nutrients and water parameters in check. it should never be a real problem. in the begining it is just one of the obsticals you have to over come. good luck every thing takes time . any thing you rush will more then likely have a bad results.................................................... da pimp

Tizz

by Tizz

No, what is a filterbag/bubble catcher? The bubbles only come when I turn the lights on, when they are off the bubbles go away.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

those bubbles are probably toxic gas from detritus settilng on rocks = more water flow!! its a micron bag the waterpasses and traps bubbles.dont get it mixed up with mediabags. my lfs has many sizes.i like the big one i put my carbon and dickboyeds chemepure in there and rinse every few days

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

google micron filterbags i used the 16inch 200 micron with drawstring . your bubble problem will go away. not on the rocks but micro bubbles in the tank

Tizz

by Tizz

I have not put any type of food in my tank as of yet, aside from some phytoplankton. As for the bubbles in the U-tubes, they are comming from the in tank overflow box and resting in one of the tubes.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

your rocks produce detritus!! do you have a allglass aquarium? do they have adjustments ?

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

Tizz , aside from the over flow , are there any other forms of bio filtrations (ie bio max, bio balls, etc) Reduce these if you have them and i have a feeling algae go by by

snowboss

by snowboss

Interesting thought - -I just read an article supporting FRMNUT - -it so happens that the sump filter removes the algae from the tank and puts it into the bioballs - -from there the bioballs become a breeding ground {or a perfect algae environment if you will} and then you pump it right back into your tank where it reastablishes and goes crazy - who would have thought? makes sense though - -so in the case I read the guy removed a large amount of that media - -added a UV sterilizer to the sump and in days the algae problem was gone - - hope this helps

new tank disasters

14 posts • Page 1 of 2