new tank disasters

14 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Tizz

by Tizz

I just set up my sump, complete with bioballs. The sump replaced my canister filter, which was running for about 4 weeks. I plan to soon change over to live rock inside my sump, as early as this weekend. I also have a refugium, but I have not bought the light for it yet, nor have I placed any macro algae in it.

When I turned on my lights today, there wasn't any bubbles on the rocks. This is weird.

By the way, "Salt-P" I don't have enough flow. All I am depending on is 2 returns from my sump, which only has a 1200 gph pump that is "valved" down a little.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

thats why u get bubbles in the u tube. the water has to be a certin hight in the overflow chamber+ inn the sump the water needs to be at max level. are your over flow tubes strait or do you have a 360 degree turn in it

Tizz

by Tizz

I have standard U-tubes (shaped like U's)... the bubbles subsided again (in tank) when the lights went off, and I noticed less in the skimmer when the lights are on, oppose to when the lights are off. getting ready to change to a sand bed, this weekend, anybody have any suggestions?

I have left a small tube in the U-tube that causes problems, so I can easily suck out any air build up. The tube is closed off between usage, so not to create a siphon. Might work for someone else who is having this issue.

snowboss

by snowboss

Tizz,

I don't use a sump as of yet but I did see one at my LFS that had a little thumb screw valve on the top of his "U" pipes . . looked as if he got air in them he could just turn the valve let the air come out and close it - -that or open the valve to break the siphon - - not sure , just happened to notice it - Boss

new tank disasters

14 posts • Page 2 of 2