great balls of temperature!

19 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ook so yall all know that my tank was reaching 83 -84 degrees in the summer/ beginning of fall with the lid off and with jus a 20 watt light on it so overheating is a concern...... well i woke up this morning and it is reading 71.4...... am i really going to have to get a heater for the winter and then some means of cooling it off ( hopefully not a chiller) for the summer? is this natural? I dont have my 380 watt light up yet tho so would that warm the temp up? I do have a little heater i used for my 20 gal freshwater setup last year if that adds any information

sry for askin so much shit like usual ha

nicholas542

by nicholas542

I leave a heater in my tank yearound, and during the summer i have a large boxfan that I point at the tank. You're heater for you're 20 gallon tank isn't going to do squat man. You need a heater that is rated for the gallon compacity of you're tank.

bertie411

by bertie411

my two cents.......
i have never had a heater in my tank, i know our weather in good old England is a lot different to yours over there, but it regularly fluctuates between 70 and 85 degrees. the halides pay a big part in this obviously. its never really caused concern and hasn't seemed to affect any livestock in my reef. I've never had to raise the temperature in the tank but have had to chill it. i have found the easiest way to chill, (without a chiller) is to freeze up some bottles of water to float in the sump. with not a lot of skill needed you can work out how much frozen water it will take to drop the required amount of degrees. if you don't have a sump, you just use smaller bottles/containers but more of them, and drop em in your tank!
may sound a bit mad, but its a proven, safe and most importantly, cheap way of dropping degrees!

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

blue 79 should be your target, if you had corals I don't think they would do to good get a heater , in the summer you could try fans and the ice bottels. Before you start adding livestock I would try to get the temp thing straightend out

good luck

sap

snowboss

by snowboss

sap???? lmao..that's funny

i will have a redneck chiller in a few months, although the basement is a constant 57 degrees year round so I should be able to benifeit from the neatural temp a little

one thought though blue...........if you are haveing huge swings in temp, try cycleing your lights - on for 2 hours off for an hour back on again......it's easier to control 2-3 degrees rather than 10-15............like when you turn off the AC all day while your at work and the house is 105 degrees when you get home.......people don't realize you will burn less energy keeping the house at 68 degrees all day rather than cooling it off from 100 to 68 all at once ...............just a thought, check with the others on cycleing the lights, don't wanna make the fish and corals crazy from the lights going on and off all the time

Boss

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ok so sounds like i got alot in my hands iwth that one, k so fedex jus got here and i got some stuff and in it i ordered some seachem reef buffer, ill check my ph here in a sec but the last few readings measured about 7.8 so do i just put how much it says in the tank where it has alot of waterflow?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

yup

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

sap..wtf...stupid i phone..hehe
blue mix the buffer in a bowl of water before you add it to the tank...

swp..aka sap..lol

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

hehehehehehe

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

k were all good on the ph 8.3 , it looked like i was putting poison in the tank haha so i put lugols solution and i cleaned off the glass wtih my new curved glass magnet... which i must say could be a hare bigger

19 posts • Page 1 of 2