DIY cartridge for water

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

fihsboy

DIY cartridge for water

by fihsboy

Just wondering.......do you think that you could use this.......to filter the big crap out of your tank. It would work just like a canister filter.....partly because thats what it is....but if you have a sump......you could put it next to your sump and run two of these, one for sediment and one with carbon. It would keep your water crystal clear......right?
This is the canister im talking about......you could get a simple pump like a rio 1700 hook it up to this and let it rip. maybe a smaller pump? im not sure. It says its for high flow applications.....yes its for an RO unit....BUT wouldnt it make your water that much cleaner. it wouldnt be pulling out the salt, because your not using the RO membrane, unless you have freshwater, then you could.

http://www.waterfilters.net/culligan/wh ... /HD950.htm

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

seems like it would work i go not see why not....these things are hooked up to every soda machiene that i have ever seen.....

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I cant find the flow rate on any of them though. they just say high flow applications. some say 50gpm which would in turn be 3000gph Thats a lot. so im not really sure here. you can get them at homedepot for 25-30 bucks. and they have the microscreen to filter out crap.......which would act as a polisher and they have carbon......this would be cheaper and more effiecient than a store bought canister filter. I would think.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

hey if you come up with an idea on how to set one up for relatively cheap let me know. I have a spare power head that I bought to hook up to a DIY filter, but have had no luck making one.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

well if you had a canister filter you would have the 3 types of filtration. mechicinal, chemical and biological..... but it looks like with these you could only get the mechanical and chemical filtration..... i could be wrong here i guess the mechanical could also double as bio....
but in order to do that you would have to have atleast 2 then a pump so i think that all in all you would be spending the same as you would if you were to just buy a canister filter...... unless you set it up just for a little extra .....

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

thats the "redneck" version of this system ................good idea man .............im all about saving the bucks

http://www.petsolutions.com/Lifeguard-C ... 0+C19.aspx

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Really and truely its pretty much going to cost the same as those models made for aquariums.....after the diy factor of time and materials....I was thinking about the lifeguard filters when I saw the canisters in Home Depot the other day. The one difference is........you can get the replacement filters dirt cheap at homedepot any time you want. you dont have to worry about your lfs going out of business or something. or the filters being discontinued. after I get some money....Im going to try it out.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

http://www.waterfilters.net/Pentek-BFS- ... 0-589.html

IF you used this filter..and got a simple pump to run it... it would cost under 100 bucks. or right at 100. replacement filters are only 4 bucks for sediment and 6 for carbon. WHAT!!!!!! they would last a month at a time......and it would polish your water. As for the biological.....if you have a reef or fowlr tank it wouldnt be a problem.......you freshwater guys......I have no idea. I couldnt keep my freshwater fish alive......so i tried a reef and I have been succesful so far. who knows. Once I get my bills paid off....ill try this.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

nice . . . i think i would use it as supplimentary filtration before i leaped into a dedication to it .......but hey .............on larger tanks {like over 100 gallon} you could build a manifold and start linking them together, valve them all out so you can service sections without ever shutting down ............now your talking some money savings - - -i'm picturing a 200 gallon tank with 3 lines of 2-3 filter heads...........nice

Boss

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

one thing that i have noticed with my britta filter is that water comes from my tap at like 8.5 and after it runs through my britta water pitcher is sits about 7.6 you think these would have tis effect too?

DIY cartridge for water

13 posts • Page 1 of 2