It just doesnt make since.......

27 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I have been running without a skimmer sucessfully now for a month and some change.....I bought a remora pro and its a beast......its been pulling gunk out like crazy....Whats weird is....I have an algae bloom. WTH! The skimmer has been on for two days and BAM. any explanations? Maybe because the oxygen shot up? I highly recommend this skimmer by the way. Its silent.....and it CANT overflow. you can empty the box while the skimmer is on full blast.......and there are NO valves to balance out the skimmer foam....it just works exceptionally well. My old skimmer was such a pain in the rear, it was the reason i went skimmerless.(constant overflow and adjusting)

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

do you have micro bubbles because that could have caused it

fihsboy

by fihsboy

A little bit. But mostly in my sump. There arent any at all in the display. No other variable has changed. I have fed my fish twice this week....WEEK. And now im getting this break out of algae. It cought me by surpise.

tangerine

by tangerine

just a guess. how old are your lights?

snowboss

by snowboss

i have been fighting a red algae bloom myself...........i didn't add anything new....but just out of no where ....BAM...the tank was running almost self suffieciently and now this red crap is everywhere

might be my lights, but its FOWLR tank and i'm running PC lights, do i still need to change the bulbs a freakwently as if i where running a reef????

Boss

nicholas542

by nicholas542

The lights should be replaced at the same intervals is what I've been told.
When I had an outbreak of redslime algea my local saltwater store told me to cut back on the amount of time my T-5 where on. And watch the nitrate levels

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I have four 24" VHO lights. Its running 440 watts....its been on there about a month now though with nothing. Just a random outreak. Its like stringy algae on my corals and stuff.....corals shedding? Plus i am getting red brown on my sand.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

That kind of sounds like red slime algae. I had an outbreak when my nitrates got too high. I found this stuff called Red Slime Remover it's made by Ultralife Reef Products it seemed to get rid of it fairly well. As the algae died I siphoned it out of the tank to stop the spreading it's a pretty nasty nusance algae.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

damn that sucks. I wonder why it would come out as soon as i added the skimmer though.....Its somewhat random.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

im not a chemist....maybe a more expierienced reefer can answer to this idea

are protiens and nitrates things that work together? and when you added the skimmer you actually opened the door for the nitrates to cause the algae bloom??? just a thought

27 posts • Page 1 of 3