Temp fluctuation problem

21 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

newbie916

Temp fluctuation problem

by newbie916

Hey guys,

Since the weather has changed my tank's water has been fluctuating between 75-82 degrees. Usually it has 3-4 degree swings in temperature. I haven't put my heater in yet because it just started cooling down out here in Cali. My house temp goes from 74-75 degrees during the day and between 64-68 at night and in the morning because we open our doors and windows.

This morning I checked my temp and it was 75 degrees and it will probably go up to 80 by this evening because of my lights. I'm planning on adding my heater in later today to keep it at 78, but I'm concerned that my temp may jump to 82 like during the summer.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how I could keep a stable temp?

nicholas542

by nicholas542

I use my heater all year long if you have a glass heater I suggest throwing it away.
I use to use one in my tank, and I upgraded to a Aquarium Systems " Stealth " heater the unit is awsome. If you set it at 78 degrees it stays there. If you're really worried about heat issues get some cooling fans for you're lights, or a chiller for the sump. That's the best advice I can give you I'm kind of a newbie at this saltwater thing myself only being into it for 9 months.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

put a few fans over it........and leave your heater in there year round. Get a decent heater.......and go from there. like he said.....it should stay there year round with the fans cooling it and the heater heating it.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

if your really cocerned about the heat in the day you could put the heater on a timer as well and only have it on over night - - -i'm useing a glass heater right now and its fine but i agree, get a good heater - - ill be upgradeing mine soon - - -it's starting to get cold here in NY and i don't want this POS to crap out on me and wake up to a 60 degree tank - - - -

i do have a question about the tanks though, we keep our house pretty chilly, and in the morning when i feed the fish there is condensation all over the light fixture, because the tank is 78-80 and the room temp is like 60-65 - - - the hood is open in the back and the fixture has a fan.........anybody else run into this ???

Boss

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

i used to have that with my fresh water tank, i think mine was just the moisture from the evaporation of the water though since my room can get up to 90 when ligts are on and im in it, i had a closed lid though

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

..zap...hehe..turn the heat to 65 dang boss..lol..never seen that

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

they don't call me the snowboss for nothin....i hate the heat and love it cold....my wife thinks i'm a vampire...............her and my daughter walk around in sweats and hoodies and wrap up in blankets on the sofa and i'm in my recliner with shorts and a tee shirt on ..............lol

but yeah i need to do something - - -i don't wanna fry a good light fixture - - -next thing you know my GFCI will be trippin ....lol

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i wrote that company on the coralife light they are going to replace the whole light cuz i only had it for 4 months.....wink...

you aint the only one i sleep with the window open still..we a had a good frost this morning...dang it was cold i almost could not get out of bed this morning...

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i hear that . . . man a nice warm woman on frosty mornins is AWSOME !!!! lol

we frosted too, kill frost forcasted for tonight

i think they should replace a four month old failed fixture {wink back}

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

not having a girl is bullshit..... this sucks.... a room that stays 80 degrees.. a laptop that wont charge.... a fish tank with no fish..... and my internet friends are telling about thier women...... im jus going to join the marines or something

Temp fluctuation problem

21 posts • Page 1 of 3