Strainer.......OR.......Overflow

50 posts • Page 1 of 5

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Okay so I was sitting here thinking.....what if I just used a strainer at the top of the tank to drain watter to the sump......I just built a new stand that will fit up to a 65 gallon......which may happen if I have patience and wait for some cash........but what if I were to just put a 1.5 inch strainer at the top.......would it be loud? maybe even a 2 inch strainer. run 2 inch pipe down the back into the sump and bam........It would be a drilled tank.......without all the overflow area taken away basically.....Ideas? Comments?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

you could use a strainer on the back of the glass as long as your water is a inch or so above the bulkhead.i would stick with inch to inch 1/2 bulheads and get 2 of them,one for saftey if you are going to get it drilled put a few bulkheads in the back of the glass for your return, or go closed loop, then you wont have unsightly power heads...hehe if you can aford it or diy. my next tank will have a calfo-overflow with 3 or 4 bulkheads in the back of the glass.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Well I was thinking about going closed loop.........but how do you prevent floods with something like that.......I guess you would just have to have a decent sized sump? I want to do two strainers......I was even thinking about putting them towards the bottom.......and running the pipe up to the water level.....making a breather pipe at the top.....so there is no siphon and then letting the pip go back down.........this way they could be plumbed to one larger pipe straight down after they go up to meet eachother in the back. Im not sure......they only thing that gets me.......with an overflow you dont really get much dietrus out of your tank.....which is a royal pain. I blow my rocks off every other day.....So i was thinking what if you put the strainers half way down.....ran the pip behind the tank to the water level.......made a syphon break hole and then ran the pip back down to the tank. Pretty much sucking the water from half way down......keeping the water at a pretty high turnover rate.......

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

''.......with an overflow you dont really get much dietrus out of your tank.....''
not true,if you have good water flow it should collect 90% of detritus. even in my new tank i have 17 lbs of rock and a 3.5 inch sand bed(i still need 40 more pounds )..my filter sock has to be rinsed out every week for now,once the tank is full it will need cleaning more often.the idea in any tank is to keep detritus suspended .
i think you are talking about a minifold, i dont know much about them, but i have seen them work and they where quite.alot of lfs use em but for 8 tanks ,,is it needed ? whats your plan for tank(s),sump.in a closed loop you use a sealed pump, and no leaks.

http://www.flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?c ... oduct=PVC-

i had another site but cant find it ,i have like 300 bookmarks..lol

swp

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Well right now I have one koralia 2, it shoots out about 600 gph. Would you say go with two nano? giving me a 300 in one corner and a 300 in the other corner making a cross stream? I seariously blow off so much dietrus its ridiculous, I have to change my filter sock everytime I blow off the dietrus......EVERYTHING settles in my rocks....its annoying honestly.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i cant realy say..if you have detritus building up on your rocks then yea add some mor korillas, i have 2 mj 1200's with the mod. and a 600 + my mag drive pump.i still get detritus in my rock but dont think its a problem...i would do a cross stream..but pump size idk..thats somthing you need to figure out..is the detritus coming from your refugium ? you might have to much flow there..

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Well my return pump is a rio 1700 with the 3 almost 4 foot head its pumping about 300 gph. Thats what the refuge is getting. Its widely dispersed and you cant see any water movement in the refuge.....its very light. There is a anenome in my refuge that just poped out of a rock.....random. But you can see its tentcles sway very lightly. Im just got a aquaC remora.....maybe that will help. I will be hooking it up friday.......when my mj 1200 gets here. :) My detrius has gotton soo thick its problematic.Everytime I do a water change I just suck it off the rocks. How many times a week do you feed your fish? My lfs fed there fish once a week. I feed every day two or three times a day. Very small portions. two to three pellets a fish. Maybe thats my cause.....?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

mabie i have no fish yet.....i will post pics of my lame setup when i get home..i need more money to get my tank going...

fihsboy

by fihsboy

that sounds like me!!!!!!! WOOO!!!!! more money for the tank! YES!

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

here is mine..the start....only a few weeks old..what i have in my tank now for current is still not what is going to be requierd i dont think..i did do the mj mod , nice increase by the way. . you should slow down on feedings a bit,also do all your fish look like slobs ? fat ?
ecb8a-10 7 tank.jpg
2158b-10 7 tank 1.jpg

50 posts • Page 1 of 5