ITS ALIVE!!!

17 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

blueshoes2208

ITS ALIVE!!!

by blueshoes2208

I HAVE FINALLY GOT RUNNING WATER IN MY TANK!!! WOO HOO!!!! haha dang its pretty damn cool im not gunna lie except 4 one thing, my fx5 will start to filter enough water for hte titanic and hten it will shut off after about 2 mins and then start up after another minute or so... its done this twice whats goin on? oh and btw... I AM THOUROGHLY ADDICTED... and i dont even have FISH!o

schigara

by schigara

That's cool, congrats!

You think you are addicted now? Fish are fun and all but just wait till you start getting coral........

Fish are just the tip of the iceberg!

I appreciate certain fish for their personality and beauty but for me, they mainly help to produce food for coral as a bi-product from their waste.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Blue,

I am not familure with the internals of the FX5 , but it must have some sort of pump in it, and if its a magnet driven one like most filters are, you may have gotten some crud in there from adding water and pumping new "dirty" water through it - - - Serial32 has an HOB filter that will just lock up out of no where and all you have to do is pick up the intake {the motor is on the end of it on thiat filer} about a 1/4 of an inch and it starts back up again ........one little grain of sand will stop it - - -might check your pump out and clean it real good, don't wanna smoke a motor right after you start adding fish

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

sounds like a bloody bio-wheel HOB...my girlfriend just chucked my original penguin 100...came home and found it disappeared. Should note this one was in the bedroom. lol

Grats on getting things running. I wouldn't figure a grain of sand would stop an FX5 though, if its brandy new, exchange it. That sounds faulty for a high volume filter that's just pumping water.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

naw its a aquaclear something or othe.........the intake is in the middle, and the impeller magnet gets a little sand in it and it jams

i didn't mean the FX5 could or would do the same thing - just graspin at straws, sillier things have stopped machines from working

and i agree that it could be faulty from the factory, that is a workhorse filter and if he's haveing a problem with it now it needs to be replaced before he's depending on it to support life

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ok got an update, its been running all night and seems to be doing fine, mabye it was just priming or something

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

air pockets will reak havoc on any pump......you might have just had some air bubles giving the 5 some hick-ups..........definately keep an eye on it though, it'sa pretty cheap fix to get it warentied now VS. a tank crash or damage to livestock later.....

Boss

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

so wtf do i do, just pour some flake food in?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i also just put water in my tank, (round two). just added the salt its a cloudy mess right now. i have no filters,protien skimmer or hydrometer,no rock,sand ..i have nothing .....but time, its going to be a very slow start, but it should come together very nice in the next few months i hope

swp

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

"so wtf do i do, just pour some flake food in?"

to start a cycle? - - yes that will work, i havn't heard a lot about "ghost feeding" as a rule prepared foods are designed to keep the nitrate build up to a minimum, because we ALL feed to much as a rule.............i still think you would be better off with a piece of shrimp or somthing like that, and then as someone else mentioned, when your amonia drops back down you could add a few hermits to clean things up...............your looking at a 4 -6 week wait here, just to give you an idea

Boss

ITS ALIVE!!!

17 posts • Page 1 of 2