Any takers?

31 posts • Page 1 of 4

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

Any takers?

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

Would anyone be willing to make a top 10 list of mistakes people make when starting and maintaining a FOWLR tank?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

dont know if i made10 yet but heres my list
1. listened to a less than reputable LFS
2. filtration - not enough to start with
3. put fish in to quick
4.did a live fish cycle [very cruel will never cycle with fish again]
5. didn't keep my hands out of the tank
6. read only after i had a problem -costly learning curve
7. didn't have the right lighting to begin with {again listening to wrong LFS}
8. hot mixing salt
9. putting chemicals in tank to "FIX" problems that just need to run their course
10. not joining "rate my tank sooner" LOL

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

Good stuff man...what do you mean by hot mixing salt

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

just mixing it in a bucket check the salinity and put it in the tank - -all in about 10 minutes

Problem is that the salinity will continue to climb as the salt disolves over the course of a few hours and pouring "hot" salt water into the tank can burn the gills of your fish - - making for very sad lil fishies

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

when doing water change, your supposed to mix salt with the normal temperature water...I wasn't aware that you needed to do anything else

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

when you do waterchanges, you should wait a day to to add water to your main tank. your temputure should be right, hevily airated, salt does not dissolve fully right away it takes time. it can mess with your ph+ undisolved salt is bad for your tank.

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Agreed. I even put a pwerhead into the bucket overnight About the water temperature. If you have a 70-120 gallons tank and you do a 10-20 % waterchange, you can put a small heater ( designed for a 10-20G tank ) into the bucket, so it will reach the right temp. by the time you'll ready for the "action". If you have a smaller aquarium ( 2-50G) just use the good ole' microwave oven. When the water is ready, just pour some into a big jar, cup or something ( has to be soap or detergent free of course ), and place it to the mic. oven. 2 minutes or so, and you have hot saltwater that you can mix with the cold one. You can repeat til you reach your desired temperature. If you don't have a digital or instant thermometer ( like myself ) use your finger... As time goes by and experience builds up, your finger will be more accurate than any fancy thermos. out there in the market... I know sounds funny, but that's how it works... Again, unless it's an emergency, set your water up the night before you willing to use it., as Saltwaterpimp already said so..:-)

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

so i need to put an airstone for aeration and a mini heater (so salt disolves) in my top off and water change pre-mixed solution(in buckets because i do not own a sump) in order to be good to go the morning after???

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

nooo!! do not add salt top off water{plain water for top off} and yes a heater and air stone for top off + water change. dude you need to do some reading go to you lfs and pick up a good book!!

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

when water evaporates the salt does not . so put a air stone or a power head in the top off water for oxegen. for water changes you need to mix the right amount of salt , add a powerhead or air stone, heater check salt levels and temp before adding to the tank also mix the day before.

Any takers?

31 posts • Page 1 of 4