Help. I have an almost dead brackish moray eel.

16 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I was in the garbage again and found a live moray eel, brackish water type, and I brought it in to the store and had them put o2 in the bag. It wasn't eating according to them and this was the last of a "bad" batch.

Shit. If it's still alive and there's no visible external ailment there's a chance it will recover I hope.

Anyone know about these things?
Last edited by Peterkarig3210 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I tasted the water in the bag it was in and tried to get the salt concentration about the same, as well as the temp, in a bucket with an air stone and I'm hopeing it will recover. It's not a systemic bacterial infection as it has muscle control of it's entire body, and it's breathing pretty well and seems to have perked up since the trip in a bag filled with o2. It wasn't able to turn right side up when I found it and now it seems to be able to.

It seems that it's just very weak and probably starving. I'll sacrifice some baby tilapia maybe and see if it eats.

Anyone know what I should feed it?

The water is really salty too. It seems to be more like salt water instead of brakish.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

holy shit you found a live eel...lol..thats crazy.,in a shity way.. bad lfs..
first thing call the fish store and find out the salinity of there tanks

did you taste the water or test it..hehe
idk what the would eat or what would trigger them to eat i hear garlic for fish but the eel idk
i will google some stuff to try to help ya

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I did a little googling and I think I can maybe get some live blood/black worms tonight or tomorrow. It's not that bad off as it's worming around a little and raising it's head. I did taste(with my mouth) the water it was in and it seems to me to be pretty close to salt water sailinity and I tried to match what it was in. It didn't seem to want a peice of freeze dried krill. I'll try live worms.

I don't get this store. I also found like 10 different powerheads and pumps too.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

try silversides at your lfs get some garlic from the fridge mince a small amount up and hope he eats. ....................is it the eel....................
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESFe69KYjho

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

great vid. OK, I'll buy siversides and live worms and there's garlic in the fridge.

It did poop a little string of white stuff so at least it's intestines haven't shut down. It seems that some say that they are very hard to care for and always stop eating and die after a while, and Gene Berg said that is bunk. They do well when they're in an environment they're comfortable in and they're not overly stressed.

I was at this new lfs and something happened and their big salt water puffer puffed up all the way. The guy there called everyone over to check it out. It wasn't a happy camper, and it struggled to get the water out too.

Thanks pimpman.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

puffer fish are cool..this one is so pist off...lmao stupid diver
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLMby_JcNb0

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

What a dumb ass.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

It's like 6 hours and it seems relatively OK.

It's really sluggish but raises it's head when it sees me.

It's weak if I gently pick it up and let it slide through my fingers, but thankfully it hasn't gotten worse. I'll try silversides and live worms and maybe garlic tomorrow.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

i dive and have seen puffers by themselves puffed up, and have played with them. puffers are so numerous in the wild it is almost crazy for me to have bought one. my uncle fishes all the time and said he used to catch them with cast nets by accident almost everyday.

16 posts • Page 1 of 2