Denitrator

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

LeftysLoft7012

Denitrator

by LeftysLoft7012

Can some of you check this out and share your thoughts. I am thinking about building one for a 125gal I'm getting in a few weeks. It will be a heavily planted freshwater tank with rocks and wood structure. Thanks.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/b ... itnew4.htm

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I don't get this thing.

josmoloco

by josmoloco

why do you need it with lots of plants and good filtration?

LeftysLoft7012

by LeftysLoft7012

for one, I worry about the plants ability to remove nitrates and my ability to be sucessful with the plants. From the looks of it, I could increase flow to decrease efficiency and ensure the proper level of nitrates (15-40ppm). And two, as this happened the other day, a household accident (involving small children) caused a massive increase in bio-matter in the tank, the result of which took me four days to get under control. The kids decided the 30gal we have now would be fun to play in, including digging in the substrate and structures, taking the fish out and petting them (3 dead, 1 seems to have suffered gill damage). While I think I made my point with the small children, I am considering adding this unit as a backup plan.

The ph and nitrates in our tap water make large scale changes difficult. I usually, with my 30, change 20% about every week or two, depending on nitrates. With the 125 I am getting, I hope to make the aquarium sustain itself better. Knowing that I will need to watch trace elements, I will look into alternatives for that too.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

So this thing removes nitrates?

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

yeah i do not get what this is susposed to do......

LeftysLoft7012

by LeftysLoft7012

Well, after reading this, and a few other pages on denitrators, it apparently removes O2 which will allow the anarobic bacterias' to grow. Trickling seems to be the key. If you click on the items in the picture, it explains how to build it. The last picture goes onto explain to some degree how it works. The bioballs used in his project are expensive and hard to find, but there are other types available. I am just not sure of any differences from one type to the next.

There are some sites that sell similar units, but the cost is extreme.

Seeing as no one seems to be sure about this, I guess I will have to build it and report the results. It will take some time for me to find (and pay for) the bioballs.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I found a huge bag of bio balls in the garbage the other day. It's about a paper grocery bags worth. I don't know why you would want to remove o2 or grow anerobic bacteria. Anerobic bacteria stink.

LeftysLoft7012

by LeftysLoft7012

Anerobic bacteria stinks when it reaches extreme levels and starts to create sulfates. Opening the drip feed decreases production. I wonder if you'd be willing to accept postage and handling for the ones you found?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I kind of want to use them as I don't have any in my 3 canister filters. If I have extra or find more I'd be happy to send them to you. It is crazy how much this type of media costs.

Could you explain why you'd need this device?

Denitrator

13 posts • Page 1 of 2