Denitrator

13 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

LeftysLoft7012

by LeftysLoft7012

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:59 pm GMT Reply Edit/Delete this post

for one, I worry about the plants ability to remove nitrates and my ability to be sucessful with the plants. From the looks of it, I could increase flow to decrease efficiency and ensure the proper level of nitrates (15-40ppm). And two, as this happened the other day, a household accident (involving small children) caused a massive increase in bio-matter in the tank, the result of which took me four days to get under control. The kids decided the 30gal we have now would be fun to play in, including digging in the substrate and structures, taking the fish out and petting them (3 dead, 1 seems to have suffered gill damage). While I think I made my point with the small children, I am considering adding this unit as a backup plan.

The ph and nitrates in our tap water make large scale changes difficult. I usually, with my 30, change 20% about every week or two, depending on nitrates. With the 125 I am getting, I hope to make the aquarium sustain itself better. Knowing that I will need to watch trace elements, I will look into alternatives for that too.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

you know if you are looking for cheap bio balls look at wallmarts pond section.......everything is on clearance now since it is getting to the "end of the season" atleast here in kansas

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I looked again and I do have a lot of bio balls. I'm sorry though. I'm really lazy and I still have to mail someone else some plants. If I get mail happy I'll let you know.

Denitrator

13 posts • Page 2 of 2