Fay coming my way

19 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fihsboy

Fay coming my way

by fihsboy

Woo! First hurricane with a fish tank.....going to go to best buy and buy a UPS for the tank. Think http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 2654249041 that will do for what I need. Im just going to hook in my main pump.....room temperature at my house is about 75 so im thinking the water temp will be fine for a day.....maybe turn on the heater for an hour or so to warm the water back up a little. 30 watts......im thinking that should make it run for at least a day.... Any idea if thats right or not?

schigara

by schigara

I'm too tired to do any math but most any battery backup would barely run an air pump for a day. Much less an return pump and a heater. A small 50w heater would consume the battery in no time by itself.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i agree with Schigara - - -i used to be an electronics tech working on gas service stations - - i used to install UPS/Battery backups on consoles - -these consoles were basically standard desktop pc's - - -the brand we used was a commercial APC unit - - to run 2 consoles long enough to close them down and get reports required a UPS that weighed about 50 lbs and was the size of a decent suitcase - - -your looking at a 1200-1500 dollar UPS to run a return pump for more than a few hours - - - UPS are designed more for spikes and brown outs not continuous running without power - - - UPS = uninterupted power source - - - they should really be called power conditioners and in reality the commercial units are called UPC's now

my sugestion would be to go to wal mart or a sporting goods store and buy a few battery powered air pumps {they're used in live wells and bait tanks} and put a few air stones in there - - -cut WAY back on feeding , fish can live for days witout regular feedings, your temp sounds like its fine - - - if you have high end corals look for a gen pak for the lights after a day or so without power -- - but remember, huricanes and major storms come across reefs and the ocean in the real world everyday , so a shut down with some air bubbles and maybe a stir every now and then shoud be fine

GOOD LUCK, we all wish our storm alley people well this season............

Snowboss

kei9th

by kei9th

faye came and went through my part in ft.lauderdale sort of like a fart in the wind you will be fine dont waste your money just yet

fihsboy

by fihsboy

haha I bought it........I didnt get to read what you guys wrote.......i bought a 900 watt unit and it said estimated 90 minutes on it.......well then after 10 minutes running on battery it said 95....weird? Im not sure about it.......but I have NOTHING to do tomorrow, so i will test it out to see how long it lasts. :) if longer than 3 or 4 hours, im happy.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

I would say save your money and just buy a generator. Run it in your garage with a long extension cord or outside under a roof or tent. That is probably what I will do. Plus you can run anything off of it and not worry about a time limit or power being drained from it. You just buy some extra gas and you're set.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

We lost power for about 2 hours today..........main pump ran the whole time. Its still pretty windy.....but power is up so no worries. Supposed to have bad weather for another two days. :( Everything is fine though!

jweb1369

by jweb1369

where do you live? I live in Panama City. It's supposed to hit us dead on.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

I would so take that back and buy this generator for $200 at home depot. It runs for 9 hours at 50% on one tank which is 1.32 gallons. It is 2000 watts more than fine for your tanks.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

a 200 dollar genpak????? wow - - - must be a lil fella, i have a honda powered genpak i installed at my parents house, wired into the breaker panel, electric start and will run everything in the house except the AC units and 220VAC stuff {stove, dryer etc} it was 3500.00 dollars

I just installed a GENARAK for a customer - -it's on a slab by the buried propane tank, runs on propane and kicks on automatically when i see's a power outage and back off when the the power returns, you can't hardly here it runinng, we/re running 2 small 1200-1400 square foot houses of one unit {about 6,000 dollars]

Boss

Fay coming my way

19 posts • Page 1 of 2