what do you know about Gouramis?

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

adamcore

by adamcore

I currently have two...one is a blue neon and the other is red and cant remember what kind it is. The red one I have had for around 2 months and I just added the blue neon last night. They seem to be doing fine together and not really bullying each other. I had read earlier today that they can some times not be good in the same tank? Wanted to know if that was true or not...

not really sure how to tell if the fish are happy...(still a beginner)

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

I have kept gouramis in the same tank, they do fine together. Maybe if the tank is smaller they might fight a bit but if the tank is larger they will probably just ignore eachother...

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

There will always be stories of somebody somewhere "successfully" keeping even the most incompatible fish together. However, this is very risky because they can suddenly duel to the death when they establish territory or just get older.

Having only two of the opposing fish also makes the odds much worse as one will be dominant and relentlessly harass the other. It is very common for the weaker fish to die of stress. And Dwarf Gourami are especially susceptible to stress. You see a tank full of these at the lfs, but there are so many that the dominant fish doesn't spend too much time harassing any one fish.

Also, you have to determine if your fish are just existing or if they are really content. Some people think their fish are just fine because there are no serious injuries. But weaker fish will often do nothing but hide and sometimes even starve to death.

Labyrinth fish, such as Gourami and Betta, notoriously do not get along with their own kind or with each other. When first starting the hobby it is easy to get caught up in wanting the fish without researching enough to understand their needs. When fish are notoriously bad together, like Labyrinth fish, it is best to not try it. Rule 1 -- don't put your own desires ahead of the fish's welfare.

I made a mistake with two male Swordtails, on bad advice from a pet store, and the dominant one harassed the other *nonstop*. As I progressed in the hobby I learned that male Swordtails are notoriously aggressive with each and that their behavior was indicative of two unhappy fish. I went out and found an lfs that would take the more aggressive one, but when I got home to bag him and take him right to the store, I found the submissive one dead. No injuries, it was stress. I'm not ever making that mistake again.

Zambize

adamcore

by adamcore

so basically what you are saying is...I should take one out??

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

I have 3 kissing gouramis, 2 green and 1 pink. They will school together for a bit, but most of the time, they are kissing the glass, pecking at the gravel and doing their own thing, usually in separate areas of the tank. I did notice Sunday that the smaller of the 3, the pink one, was sitting beside a decoration on the gravel and stayed there for about an hour, justing sitting, and one of the other gouramis swam by "her" since it is pink, and she chased the other one away. He came back twice, and she run him off again, but whatever she was doing, she is done now and there hasn't been anymore squabble. Not sure about the dwarf neons, but the kissing ones are pretty friendly and peaceful.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Well, I really would. It is possible that if your tank is big enough they may (mostly) ignore each other. But neither one will get to enjoy the whole tank because they are territorial. If they weren't known to be so bad together, and so susceptible to stress, I wouldn't be so vocal about keeping them separated. Dwarf Gourami die easily in general anyway. You could have your hands full with just one.

They are nice fish though, one of my favorites. I've had dwarves and I have a 4" Pearl Gourami right now. I love them and I'd have a tank full if I could. Gourami can have a lot of personality, too, and you'll really get to see it with one content fish rather than two stressed fish.

Sorry...but I don't think you should experiment at the fish's probable expense. You'll get the hang of compatibility. Just come on the forum and ask around. You'll discover that some people on here have a vast amount of knowledge and know far more than any compatibility chart or pet store employee.

Good luck...

Zambize

adamcore

by adamcore

thanks a lot for the help!

Do you think petco would take the fish if I brought it to them??

adamcore

by adamcore

also...if i keep the blue neon gourami...he wont by chance eat the other fish or stress them out til they die will he??

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Gourami are actually quite peaceful, just not with each other. LOL Your tetra are going to be stressed because they are schooling fish and you don't have enough. One reason fish school is for safety so when they are alone they feel vulnerable. If you are a schooling fish and you are suddenly alone, you're about to be someone's dinner.

But back to the Gourami. I doubt he will bother them. The top region will be his hangout and the tetra will stay mostly in the middle. He'll eat anything that can fit in his mouth though, but the Dwarf Gourami are quite small.

Do keep in mind that Gourami are slow-moving, quiet, sometimes shy fish. They are uncomfortable in a tank that is too busy or with a filter that disrupts the surface too much. I had some Zebra Danio in a 37 gallon with my Neon Blue (Tommy the Gourami, darned good fish) and I had to donate them to my lfs because they were so fast, active, and generally psycho that Tommy wouldn't come out.

It is rare that PetCo will take any fish from individuals, even returns. A local privately-owned fish store will probably take the little Gourami. Don't call first though...if you show up with him they are more likely to take him. :)

BTW, you'll be more limited in what fish you can have due to the shark, much more so than the Gourami. I have a Red-Tail Black Shark and I thought long and hard before getting him because compared to most freshwater fish, sharks have few good choices for tank mates (Gourami are one potential tank mate though!).

In my 37 gallon I have my shark, the Pearl Gourami, 7 Julii Corydoras, and 4 Platy. And that tank is full. The shark is only 1.25" right now, but he'll be 4"-6" when grown and given the speed and territorial nature of sharks, they need lots of room. In fact, I will likely get a 55 gallon for him if he does reach his potential size.

Zambize

adamcore

by adamcore

the rainbow shark is a baby but I did read up on them and had thot about taking him back as well lol. BUT instead...I am just going give the tetra to my girlfriend's mom along with a couple more that I'm about to go pick up. Regular local fish stores are kind of hard to find around where I live...Petsmart/petco ect...have basically all the market. So I just decided that I can give the gourami and the tetras to my gf's mom to make things a bit easier. Hopefully that will prevent any future problems.

Are tiger barbs and clown loaches ok to have with the shark and gourami?

14 posts • Page 1 of 2