what do you know about Gouramis?

14 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

josmoloco

by josmoloco

I have two male and two female blue gouramies with a spiney eel ,firemouth, glass fish, a 5 year old rainbow shark, a male convict and chinese algae eater . This has been set up for over a year now with no problems. Neon blue gouramies are very peaceful dwarfs. The red is probably honey dwarf gourami, also VERY peaceful. Rainbow sharks can be aggresive but tend to stick to the bottom of the tank.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Tiger Barbs are often cited as a good mate for smaller sharks. They get to be a decent size and they can be aggressive. However, the mistake most people make with Tigers is getting too few of them. In that case, the Tigers get *really* aggressive with other fish in the tank. With more Tigers, they are more preoccupied with each other and they are in a more "natural" setting that way. I'm not so sure about Tigers with Gourami though. A single Gourami is usually rather peaceful and it is a slow-moving fish, which is a disadvantage against the quick Tigers. Also, the Gourami will only be a couple inches big and the Tigers will be bigger than that. I would really research that one, but it doesn't sound like an obvious match.

Also consider that fish are generally identified as peaceful, semi-aggressive, or aggressive. It is usually best to keep peaceful fish out of a tank with semi-aggressive and aggressive fish. That is a generalization, but it is very often applicable. The more aggressive species can hold their own against each other (if size is similar). You will hear of people keeping a "semi-aggressive" or "aggressive" tank. Cichlids are an example...most are aggressive to some degree and will torment/kill more passive fish, but a cichlid species tank works.

Imagine wild animals.....you wouldn't mix a lamb with a den of lions.

Zambize

adamcore

by adamcore

yeah...I read up on tiger barbs and found out that you should have at least 3 to 4 of them to make them happy. I had at first thought I was going to be upgrading to a 75g tank...but I decided on moving that up to a 130g tank...Do you think the gourami would still be unhappy in that setting with the rainbow shark...(and here is the maybe list)

tiger barbs
clown loaches
silver dollar
needle fish
dragon gobie
black ghost knife

adamcore

by adamcore

upside down catfish
and a plecotomus

oh...I have none of these fish besides the gourami and rainbowshark
these are just a list of the fish I'm looking at and really like