Octopus???

22 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Peterkarig3210

Octopus???

by Peterkarig3210

I'm thinking way ahead as I don't even have live rock going, but, has anyone ever had or thought about getting a small variety of octopus?

Unfotunatly they aren't supposed to live very long in aquariums, so, is it inhumane or illegal to have an octopus?

They're just sooooo cool the way they can squeeze through the smallest openings and change colors too.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

not illegal, inhumane is a pretty stiff term, but, they require pretty specialized lighting, more of a dark redish hue, and from i've read your right they don't tend to live very long in captivity, they need a large amount of room[ like 150-300 gallons for one small puss, 8-10 inch} and tend to eat their roomates, lol..................not to mention they are incredable escape artists...............they don't have any bones in them so they can squeeze through an air bubble , lol ..............not to mention they are smart as hell, i saw an experiment where they put a crab in a jar with a screw on lid and put it in the tank and the octopus figured out how to turn the lid off to get the tasty lil crab ...............friggin awsome

IMO though ...it's a creature better left to ultra high def tv from national geographic, sorry

Snowboss

singapore

by singapore

i did some serious research into octos a wile back.

unless you live close to the beach and can collect fiddler crabs on a regular basis, or, you can but them locally., they arent good pets.

like the boss said, they are escape artists, and require a tght fitting lid. they have short life spans...between 6months and 18 months is what ive read for most bimac. octos (the most commonly kept octo). they require pristine water, with no fluctuations in temp, ph, or salitnity. a large tank is a must. 125 is what most keepers have. but ive read some people keep pygmy octos in a 55. but they are hard to find, and harder to keep alive.

all in all, unless you have a ridiculous amount of money to spend on them, id think of another critter..

sorry to crap on your dreams peterkarig...

schigara

by schigara

Hey boss my LFS used to keep them for sale in the store years ago. He tells about this one that was incredibly smart. 2 tanks down from the Octo, was a tank with small fish and the fish kept disappearing and he couldn't figure it out. He set up a cam on a time lapse vcr.

The next day he viewed the taped and was totally astonished. The octo raised the lid on it's tank, climbed out and went across 2 tanks over and raised the lid and got in and ate a few small fish. That's wasn't the amazing part.

He climbed out the tank where he had dinner, closed the lid behind him and climbed back in his own tank and closed the lid back on his tank as well.

seankh

by seankh

Im not a saltwater guy but a buddy of mine had one in his tank and he had to put bricks on his tops because the octopus kept getting out. He had 2 tanks set up side by side and the octopus kept getting out and eating his freshwater fish. As a recall though his stayed alive for about 2 or 3 years.
Last edited by seankh on Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

wow...........thats some crazy shit......................see i don't want an animal smarter than me in my house, he might get tired of me and plan a mob hit on me or something.......lol

"man found dead, beaten to death by a rock in front of his aquarium" .......

lmao , no thanks

Boss

seankh

by seankh

lmao

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I can't deal with such a short lifespan and they probably eat coral too. I have no idea about that except that a lot of fish will eat coral.

A pigmy I might consider down the road, though unless I could do a much better job than the norm at keeping one I'd want to pass.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Yea, even if I ever did get a pigmy I'd put it in my 100 gallon. The gars are going to need a bigger tank soon so at that time I can turn it into salt.

Tones of different coral, giant clams, an octopus. Would these all get along?

gumbii

by gumbii

my LFS has a couple of blue ring octopus for 25 bucks each...

Octopus???

22 posts • Page 1 of 3