Octopus???

22 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

ocreef

by ocreef

Cephalopods...octopuses, squid, cuttlefish and nautiluses are not impossible to keep.. but i would recommend only the serious advanced hobbyists keep them,...including having the money and time to spend on one. It's a sure bet, it will quickly die once you bring it home from the pet store. LFStores should not even carry these animals at all.

gumbii

by gumbii

that and they are escape artist...

ocreef

by ocreef

That reminds me of a good story....a friend of mine who had two large aquariums...one with a small white octopus, and the other a large semi-aggressive freshwater tank;…went away for a week on vacation, and while my buddy was gone,… the octopus decided to crawl out of his tank, which had a full hood and crawl down the carpeted living room up the other tank, an of course make meals out of every single fish…which I believe included a few Oscars…the octopus then crawled back across the living room and returned back to his tank...and we all know the Octopus had to open the hood top to get back in.
When my buddy got back home...he did see both aquariums...one with a surprisingly content octopus, which he thought would have more than likely died being his first and the other aquarium completely empty. My thoughts: That sun of a bitch. “Very intelligent animal”

singapore

by singapore

peterkarig. technically octos could be kept in a reef, they dont eat coral just so you know. but there are a number of reasons they arent traditionally kept in reef settings.

the main reason is the temperature. corals need a tank at like 78-79 degrees. octos need a tank much much cooler. low 70's to mid/ high 60's i believe.

another concern is the lighting. corals need intense lighting. octos prefer dim lighting. purple and red hues.

octos also love bivalves. so clams are off limits...

all in all.. . .octos arent reef animals. it would work technically, but the octo wouldnt be happy at all, you probably wouldnt ever see it.

im response t gumbi's post...blue ring octos...
they are absolutely beautiful when they show off those rings. but they only show them off when they are seriously aggitated. and if you aggitate one in the aquarium, you my not live to take the picture. all octos have venom, but most wont effect a human except for mild tingling. blue blue rings have this poison called tetrodotoxin. that shit will mess you up. in a matter of minutes it causes paralysis, followed by respiratory arrest. death usually is in about 20 mins. the cherry on top, is that there is no known anti-venom for the bite. also, the constant aggitation will drastically shorten their already short life.

in summation...i HIGHLY reccomend that if you decide to go down the time consuming, and wallet draining path of cephalopods, dont go with blue rings...

ocreef

by ocreef

I thought the blue rings would make a good tank addition for anyone since gumbii stated that his
LFS has a couple of blue ring octopus for 25 bucks each...

gumbii

by gumbii

yeah i went to the LFS earlier today to see what's up... they only had one left, but no one wanted it because it only had one blue ring... LOL... that's hilarious...

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

The octo thing was just an idea. I guess I'd need a chiller and a large tank devoted just to the octo. I don't want anything I can't keep alive for it's normal wild lifespan. I'm pretty experienced with aquariums so if I do get one of these I'll do a lot of research first.

singapore

by singapore

definately not... i mean...unless you like the idea of liveing with an animal that could kill you.

i am subscribed to another site called tonmo.com.

its al about ceph care. people there have many stories about octos commonly sold with false names. vulgaris being sold as bimac, bimacs benig called blue ring...maybe thats what is happening at gumbis store?

then again, they may be able to get blue rings for cheap, and im totally wrong.

gumbii

by gumbii

i even told the dude they were too cheap... my favorite LFS get them sometimes, and he sells them for 35-40 bucks... 25 is a gift...

jmclark

by jmclark

Just seen the videos on utube of the octopus opening a jar, bloody brilliant! utube is amazing!

Octopus???

22 posts • Page 2 of 3