just got it!

18 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

singapore

just got it!

by singapore

went to the petstore today.

got 3 new fish.

2 more blue damsels.

and a longnose butterfly.
but i cant get this butterfly to eat. any advice on getting him to start eating? i have flakes, freeze dried brine shrimp, table shrimp, frozen mysis, frozen silversides, and frozen angelfish preparation, and fresh live caulerpa. he has plenty to choose from, and the guy there said he would eat flakes, but he wasnt too interested in them.

gumbii

by gumbii

get some xenia or other soft corals...

i had some butterfly's before and they cleared out my xenia...

have you tried garlic gaurd...? or finicky fish always go for the spirulina flakes...

littlej2455

by littlej2455

it might take it a few days to eat. those are kind of picky fish so just give it time to get use to its surroundings and keep offering it food.

singapore

by singapore

thanx guys. so they eat soft corals? damn....

i was sorta planning on getting xenia...

so much for that...

gumbii

by gumbii

lol... i think butterflies are the most gorgeous saltwater fish you can get... second place would be large angelfish... but those are also soft coral/anemone munchers... the hell with they...

jweb1369

by jweb1369

They also sell something frozen called Emerald Entree, made by the same company who does all those frozen cubes. It has brine, krill, spirulina, mysis, red leaf algae, romaine lettuce and a bunch of stuff. It's crazy, i put it in my cichlid tank and they didn't know what to do hahaha.

singapore

by singapore

haha yeah sometimes i put some mysis shrimp in my cichlid tank and they go nuts.

but i agree, butterflies and angels are gorgeous. i have a bi-color angel in my tank also. but the angel hasnt botheres my anemone. so hopefully the butterfly wont either

gumbii

by gumbii

no... i said large angel fish... not dwarfs... dwarfs are reef safe... i have a coral beauty and a flame angel... those are pretty cool...

singapore

by singapore

aahhh i misread that

schigara

by schigara

Gumbii, I wouldn't say Dwarf angels are reef safe. They are hit or miss but they too have a liking for clam mantles, some acro species and some softies.

The only angel I have read of or heard of that is really reef safe is the Lamarks Angel.

I had a Bi-Color and a Cherub that loved eating the mantles of my Maxima clams and would eat the polyps of a Blue Prostrata.

Any of the Large or Dwarf angels can possibly be reef safe but it depends on the individual.

just got it!

18 posts • Page 1 of 2