just got it!

18 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

gumbii

by gumbii

yeah... i just found that out today at my LFS... sucks... i was planning to get some clams in the future... but now i have a coral beauty, a flame angel, and today i got a bi-color angel... talk about fail/aids...

oh well...

OMGWTF!!!...

today my LFS had a awesome small lamarck's angelfish... i should of picked him up too... i didn't know about they... oh well... there's always tomorrow...

schigara

by schigara

Hey, most LFS's will take a fish back for a store credit at partial value. Problem is catching them.

Before I had established corals, I would pull the rock to catch a fish. Have to get clever and smarter than the fish now.

gumbii

by gumbii

i'm not returning any of my angels... they're way to gorgeous... i can deal with them eating a couple of corals once in a wile... plus, i'm not aiming to have a full blown reef tank... i just want like mushrooms and other low maintanance corals...

schigara

by schigara

That's cool. Some people are hardcore fish people with mild coral tendencies and others are hardcore coral people that just need the fish to indirectly feed the coral.

I fall into the latter category. I love my coral and the fish are mainly there to process food to feed my coral.

Don't get me wrong, I love my fish but the time effort and money it takes to get a sweet Acro to grow out is more precious to me than just a fish. I would love to have Angels but I'm not about to scarifice my SPS for a fish.

dick_headers

by dick_headers

I'm the same. I used to crazy about fishes, then I saw my zoanthid budding new heads, and that was it. When i see my clam and corals open up in the morning, boy it's awesome!

I still love fishes though, but not nearly as much as I used to. BTW I had all the angels/butterflies
that you mentioned.
Flame angels are sure one of a kind fishes.

schigara

by schigara

Yup...........fish come and go but a coral can live forever.

I have a baby Efflorescence growing out from 3 small chips sandwiched together and if any fish were to pick on it, that fish would be gone with a quickness.

My favorite angel is an Emperator and is worth about $200 full grown at best. On the other hand, an Efflo at 9-12" diameter is worth $500 bare minimum and upwards to $1000 depending on color.

Corals keep growing and you can frag them and trade or sell them. After a few years, a reef tank can pay for itself.

Soon, the propagation of the Xenia in my refugium alone will pay for my tank.

gumbii

by gumbii

bah...

lightsluvr

by lightsluvr

I'm with schigara and dick headers - I keep fish, but I grow coral...
do either of you feed "Coral Frenzy"? It's like crack for coral... they go nuts. I feed it twice a week - all pumps off - before the lights come on...never saw acros polyp out like they do on that stuff... give them time to feed and then after 30 minutes or so, turn the pumps and powerheads back on...

LL

just got it!

18 posts • Page 2 of 2